Friday, May 3, 2013



Second Blooming

In my enthusiasm to blog, I didn't even think about doing my spin today.  Not my finest.

Gretchen threw "bucket list" up there.  Hmmm.

I don't have a bucket list.  Not kidding.  I'm not saying I live in the moment or anything.  I'm a planner.  I just don't have this magical list of stuff I want to get done before I meet my maker.  No trips to Europe, or mountain climbing.  I don't care if I meet someone famous, or finish War and Peace.  If that stuff were to come along, I would do it willingly (most likely), but I'm not setting out to do it. 

Which kind of brings up something I've been up to lately (for those that lost me for this past year).  I took up running.  It started as a random occurrence.  I ran a charity 5K for my niece and thoroughly embarrassed myself.  Yes, thoroughly.  Finished one before last, and the last guy was almost a million years old.  I had to run to redeem myself, to prove that I was not going to be one of those people who was an athlete who let middle age and the rest of life get the best of them.  I got an app (of course there's an app for that, silly me).  PB bought me new running shoes (because if anything besides shame was going to get me to run it was throwing money away on shoes I didn't use.  I now HAD to use them.)  It began.  A co-worker heard about it and invited me to a race at Halloween.  It was fun to have that little bit of time outside of work together.  We didn't run the race together, we just showed up together and she was waiting at the finish line to cheer me through.  This time I finished middle of the pack.

People began encouraging me by telling me how excited they were for me.  Who gets excited to hear about someone else exercising?  Who knows...  I kept going.  I ran the Cleveland Turkey Trot (with all the half drunk college kids home for the weekend).  It was a beautiful day and I had FUN.  PB and the boys cheered me on and I didn't feel like I was going to die. 

My old college roommate and I decided to do the Princess half marathon at Disney together next year.  So I keep going.  Three times a week I put on my running shoes and hit the pavement.  I'm enjoying it, mostly.  Not all the time.  It sucked to run in 35 degree weather.  It sucked to run through pelting hail, but I have to run when I have time.  Am I proud when someone sees me on the road on a miserable day and tells me I'm crazy?  A little.  Being honest, during most runs I'm not enjoying myself.  But when I get home and I look at the miles I logged, it get that little "squee" moment. When I run right past a place that I used to turn around huffing and puffing last fall and know that I'm not even half through my run?  That makes me happy. 

Bring it all back around.  I can't tell you how many people have asked me if I'm doing this because a marathon is on my bucket list.  They're shocked when I tell them no.  I have a lot of reasons for running now (be a good example to my kids, stay healthy, get outside more, I could keep going).  A bucket list is not one of them.  When I'm staring at the end, I don't want to think of some list I didn't accomplish, and all the "what ifs".  I don't want to go screaming to the end trying to cram it all in.  What I do want is to be able to sit down and look at everything I did get to do, to try to learn and appreciate the opportunities I took when I had the chance.  Just a different perspective, I guess.

But now, put Gretchen on your to do and go read the other spinners. 





7 comments:

Jan's Sushi Bar said...

While I have very strong opinions about distance running, I won't voice them here - especially since I'll be lapping the pool again within a month. It's the only exercise I really enjoy, and I'm ashamed to admit that once the pool closed at the end of the summer last year, the most lapping I did was around the kitchen. My bad.

Other than that, the reason I didn't write a spin this week is because I don't have a bucket list either, other than living to a ripe old age, and that's a work in progress.

Marie Moody said...

I'm hailing from Stacy's Free for All! As far as exercising I don't do much due to Spinal Stenosis, but I'm working on fixing that. Have a Great Weekend. Gonna go back to your blog and see if I can be your next follower if I find it. :) Nice to meet you.

gretchen said...

Welcome back! You have been missed. And as you read in my post, I don't have a list either. Or at least not one that I would want to say out loud, because it would be tempting fate. Anyway, I think the marathon is terribly exciting. I ran a 5K in October, and it was huge for me. I felt so powerful. I'm incredibly impressed that you've been out running in the hail - I've wimped out since I ran my race.

You are linked!

Lynn said...

I've enjoyed hearing about your new found joys of running..LOL. I actually like to run but I am the worst for make the time to do it. I've ran a few 5k's but only an idiot does them the way I do. I tell myself I'm going to run/workout before hand but I don't. I ran one after work that night. I got off at 7am and was registering at 8am. My latest fun on the running was doing a 5k that my sons school put on and we did practice and ran it together. He's six years old so I was proud. I'm visiting form Stacy's Free for All. Nice to meet ya, I'm a new follower.

VandyJ said...

I started running last summer. Not much just a mile around the park near our house. I stopped when it got dark and very cold and snowy. I started again Monday and then it snowed and got freezing cold here again on Tuesday. I'll try again next week.
It's exercise and it fits the schedule. I don't particulary like it, but I will do it three times a week, weather permitting.
It's nice to hear that you are enjoying running.

mail4rosey said...

I think you've summed up running perfectly. :)

Visiting today from Stacy's hop. :)

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

I don't have a bucket list either but mostly because I know I'd be writing a list of things I'll never get around to doing, so what's the point?!!! I'll just take it as it comes like you are!