Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A picture is worth a thousand words...

but a painting is a feeling that can't be described in words.

Far later than I should be doing this, here is a picture of the painting I commissioned from Michelle last summer (wow, that sounds all fancy, doesn't it?  Like I'm a millionaire?)

I know, it's a stinky picture, and it will never convey the beauty of the work.  But that's not the point here.  The point is that it's a painting, not a picture.  And that makes all the difference. 

A picture would tell you the story of that moment, it would capture it in time.  The flowers on the shirts would be clear, and the expressions exact.  You'd know what they were thinking right then.  But that's not what I wanted.  I wanted a little more (how picky of me).  I received a lot more.  Michelle captured my kids at those ages, in general.  LG's habit of playing with his clothes, little o's willingness to give the moment over to his big brother.  Her painting gave me a "sense" of my boys, not an exact memory.  Like the smell of a shirt that's been worn can bring you to a place in time, instead of just one moment.  The smell of my Mom's perfume will bring back a closeness to her, but not a precise memory of something we ever did.  That's what a painting like this does.  We'll remember last spring, and our boys, not just this trip.

Originally, I was going to save this for Christmas.  I was, I swear.  I was going to hide it.  But then I opened it.  And I knew I couldn't.  I had to give it to PB the minute he came through the door that night.  He loves it.  He told me the reason he never printed the picture is because part of what he loves about it was that it was taken on his cell phone, which gave it that "fuzzy" quality, and a printed picture would just make it look out of focus.

So, many, many thanks to Michelle.  If you follow this magic link you, too, can have all sorts of wonderful information about how to get your own painting.  Also, you can visit her blog and enjoy the rest of her world, too!


3 comments:

gretchen said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I'm so jealous!

Jan said...

As the recipient of one of Michele's marvelous paintings, I can wholeheartedly back up your endorsement of commissioning a work by that wonderfully talented lady. She does incredible work.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

I know she just toils and toils over those because she wants them to be right. I'm so glad you're pleased with the end result. What a treasure. :)