Monday, January 23, 2012

National Pie Day- a recipe

Pie is a very important food at our house.  We even have a badger who's favorite food is pie.  So, in honor of National Pie Day, and Jan's Make Ahead Monday, I stole a recipe to share with you.  Yup, stole it just for you.  And we're eating it tonight.  No, you may not stop over.

Chocolate Pye (stolen from Two Fat Ladies)

Ingredients:

FOR THE CRACKLING CRUST:
6 ounces ground almonds
1 egg white
2 ounces superfine sugar
  
FOR THE TOPPING:
8 ounces plain chocolate, grated
1 pint plus 4 ounces (2 1/2 cups) double cream (or heavy cream)
 
Sliced almonds to top

Directions

Work the ground almonds, egg white, and sugar into a paste and knead into a ball. On a sugared surface, roll out to a round large enough to line an 8-inch nonstick flan tin, 1/4-inch thick and leave to dry for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the rested pastry in the tin and decorate the edges with the finger and thumb technique. Line with foil (but no baking beans) and bake blind for 20 to 25 minutes. Watch carefully to avoid scorching. Leave to cool.

Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over hot water, then mix in the cream, stirring all the time to prevent splitting. Remove from the heat and, as the chocolate starts to set, beat the mixture to a light foam. Allow to cool for 1 to 2 minutes before pouring into the cooled crackling crust. Leave to set. Serve decorated with toasted almonds and yellow rose petals.
 
-> I was going to make mine last night after my showdown with LG (which PB proceeded to ruin by laughing hysterically).  LG and I have a similar stubborn streak.  When we get on a roll, we apparently give each other the same glare.  Last night LG lost his rights to stories and songs.  But after I finished reading and singing to little o, I heard a melody coming out of his room.  PB had caved.  I went in arms crossed, glaring, "Why is he getting songs?  YOU'RE the one who took them away from him!"  LG glared back at me, for ruining the guilt trip he was working hard to take PB on.  I glared back.  Apparently, a mirror glare, since PB started giggling, then outright laughing, then he had to put LG down because he laughed so hard at us (ok, me).  Harumph.  When I make the pye tonight, we'll see who gets any...  Maybe you can come over, I'll have enough to share.

3 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Sprite and I get into stand off's all the time. She usually smiles and it throws everything off, but lately, I'm getting better at denying her the escape clause.

Jan said...

I've just discovered Two Fat Ladies on the Cooking Channel, and this has my hyperventilating. I'd make the crust with either coconut sugar or evaporated can juice (run through my spice grinder to make it "superfine") and would sub the cream with coconut milk, but I'm thrilled you linked this up! Thank you!

gretchen said...

I want some pye!! I loved this entire post, from "baking blind" to "Why is he getting songs?!"