Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Stand back...

I need to rant for a minute.  I know, quit your complaining.  I haven't given you anything for a week, and now I log on to complain?  Well, it's my blog...

Here's my problem:  vanity sizing.  Yes, now I know the name of my current nemesis (thanks to a co-worker with a similar complaint). 

When I was in high school (a scant 20 years ago) I was a size 2.  It's a real number.  No, there were no sizes smaller.  But it fit.  It wasn't baggy.  Not loose.  Sometimes I was even a size 4.  I could find clothes at almost all major stores. Please keep in mind that I am 5' tall.

Today, I weigh the same amount and am the same height.  Last night I went to a common store, slightly upper end.  I tried on a size 00.  What the hell is that even?  That's negative!  I'm not even a nothing, I'm a double nothing???  That's freaking ridiculous.  And for stores that choose not to stock ridiculous sizes, I just can't shop there anymore (this is many, many places and ALL discount stores- Target included). It makes me angry to no end.

How is this possible?  What the hell happened?  I'll tell you.  In an effort to keep people buying more, labels have changed their sizing standards.  Because the baby boomers (yup I just pointed a finger) and the gen xers (because why should the boomers take all the blame) refuse to acknowledge that they are getting older, changing shape, and maybe, just maybe letting themselves go a little, and the marketing people stepped up to the plate to accomodate them.  So, even though you have gained 20 pounds in the last 20 years, and your backside has slid south, you can be the same size 6 you were in 1980 before you had those 3 kids!  No need to cut back on the Thin Mints or do more than walk the dog.  And those of us who's body type runs small?  We're relegated to shopping on line so we don't make people feel bad...  It just pisses me off.

Oh, and to the next person who points out that Marilyn Monroe was a size 12?  She also was about 5'5" and weighed a 120 lbs.  She'd be about a 6 now... Stick that in your Starbuck's mug and sip on it.

Ok, I'm done now.  I feel a bit bad for this rant, since I know so many people who are trying hard to eat right and be healthy to get back into their 1980's jeans.  But we hear from those folks a lot, so I thought I could take just this one post to get my angst out there.  To make up for it, have these:






8 comments:

Frogs in my formula said...

Oh God, does this mean I'm really a size 12? Yikes!

I love how you offered us leaves after your rant. Too funny.

blueviolet said...

That really drives me crazy too! Sometimes I read in magazines where a celebrity says they're a size 0, and I'm thinking, yeah right.

The Crazy Coxes said...

I'm so with you!!!! It's next to impossible to shop without trying everything on and I hate to try things on!

VandyJ said...

The sizing drives me nuts and the fact that ALL jeans are now made of stretch material drives me nuts.

gretchen said...

Back in my day, when I was very young and slim and a model, I wore a size 8. This was, at the time, the standard size for a model. That's the size all the sample clothes came in. Nowadays? Models are supposed to be a 0. Now I realize that models are much skinnier now, but I can't believe that a 0 now is what a 0 was then. It's crazy.

Mrsbear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrsbear said...

Honestly a zero shouldn't even be a size. Even baby clothes don't come in zeroes. You can't have smaller hips than a baby.

I kind of hate shopping.

Michele said...

I'm older now so I'm perfectly okay with wearing an 8 instead of a 4. The sizing thing has gone a bit batty. I know I'm not a 4. I'm an 8 or what use to be an 8.