Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Random Tuesday Thoughts

It's Tuesday, isn't it?  Yeah, that's what I thought.  Grab your coffee.  Sit for a minute.  I'll babble on nonsensically for a minute or two and you can feel all contected with the world.

->  My husband relayed a conversation between his boss and his boss' wife from the past weekend:

Wife:  Are you listening?  You haven't said a single word in reply.
Boss:  I'm passive listening.
Wife:  Passive listening?
Boss:  Yeah, I'm sort of listening, but I'm doing the crossword, too.
Wife:  That's not passive listening, that's being an a$$hole.

And now "passive listening" has entered our lexicon.  Where it will be used often, as I frequently "passive listen" in meetings and sometimes while on the phone.

->  We have reached a new place in our parenting lives.  The one where you really appreciate the fact that your kid can recognize that they feel ill and make it to the bathroom.  It only backfired on me a little.  We have a "no getting out of your bed at night" rule.  Uhm, it's hard to explain when it's ok to break that rule.  So during the day?  We were aces (thank god, no 7 or 8 changes of clothes).  At night?  Well, that's why we have 3 separate sheet/blanket combos at close hand.

 ->  Little o with his uncle john and his new favorite gigantic alie.  Best present ever.  It's almost as big as he is. 

->  Men are really big babies when they are sick.  It's almost disgusting.  I had the stomach bug two weeks ago.  I only left work because I refuse to get that close to a toilet that is shared with co-workers.  I went home and did some laundry and cleaned the bathrooms in between feeling horrible.  LG had it last week.  He sat quietly on the couch and learned that the magic mouse has more than just that silly club house show up his sleeve.  We went food shopping, and to the post office (in between his episodes).  PB was home yesterday.  He spent the whole day in bed. Then he moved to the couch when we all got home.  He occasionally moaned like a wounded buffalo.  Really?  The 3 year old took it better than he did?  Sad.

 ->  Little o opening birthday presents in his birthday suit (almost).  Why do something in clothes when you can do it mostly naked, right?

->  I watched the new 3 1/2 men last night.  Now, except for his episode, I really like Charlie Sheen.  I loved his character.  I expected to hate the new one.  But?  It was actually pretty good.  We'll see if it lasts.

->  Almost as if they had read my post last week (and all of your amazing responses), the WallStreetJournal had an article yesterday about how school districts are having a hard time financially meeting the needs of all the special needs kids.  Not things like wheel chair ramps, or peanut free classrooms.  Things like on-going home tutoring and video technology at the kids house (so they can do live feed video to be in class).  The article sites that the largest growing population of special needs kids are the ones with "invisible ailments".  The gist of the article is that schools are beginning to fight back and draw the line in the sand of what can reasonably be expected from a public school district.  It will be interesting to see where it goes.

->  I should clarify my position, though.  I completely understand that some kids need a little extra something to make school (or any public type thing) work.  I'm all about a school, or a teacher working with parents to see it happen.  I think the first focus should be how to help the kid acquire skills to make it happen on their own eventually.  I'm against people thinking that the world owes them something and that other MUST accommodate their special birdie with expensive solutions.  I'm even more against people who make excuses and do nothing to help the situation at all.

And so goes the Tuesday.  I'm going to try to be productive now. You go do the same.

11 comments:

allstarme said...

Men ARE big babies about being sick. If I go home early, he questions how sick I really am but he'll miss 2 days with a cold! Happy RTT.

CSkaryd said...

I think passive listening will be entering my lexicon as well. That is awesome.

blueviolet said...

That conversation was brilliant. Men are notorious passive listeners when their wives are talking.

I can kinda see the pickle schools must be in now, because so many kids have been labeled with this, that, and the other in this generation. I can't even begin to imagine the challenges that creates.

VandyJ said...

Men get to be sick. Moms still get to be moms when they are sick. Seems unfair to me.

Jan said...

I am the QUEEN of passive listeners - I have to be, surrounded as I am by men who never ever ever SHUT THE $#%@ UP. (Not that they aren't dolls, of course. When they're not dying from that hangnail.)

Blabbermouth hypochondria aside, re: near nude gift unwrapping. Little o is a man after Beloved's heart.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Men don't handle discomfort too well. It's just some sort of unwritten law of humankind, I believe. lol.

Passive listening...I do this some times, but not in person so much as when I'm on the phone. I get busy with the computer while engaged in a conversation, then my attention is split. I admit the computer gets most of it and half remember what the person on the other side said. Really sad!

Thanks for randoming up!
~Cathy
What's On Your Mind? Random Thoughts On A Rainy Day

kendrasue said...

I hate when the hubby is sick. Especially if we both are sick with the same thing because his is ALWAYS worse then what I have.

And I passive listen at work all the time.

The Crazy Coxes said...

You are so right about men being the BIGGEST babies when they are sick. We keep going. They are down for the count and want everyone to know how bad they feel. THAT'S when I become a passive listener. Your kids are soo darn cute!

Kristine said...

Giggling at the wife's ending...that's not passive listening. That's being an asshole. ROFL!! Classic!!!

Sprite's Keeper said...

I'm not going to mention how John acts when he's sick. Okay, I will. Every little thing he talks about has to do with his sickness.
"It's way too hot today. I think it's because I'm sick. Maybe the fever's broken."
"Uh huh."
"Are you rolling your eyes?"
"No, my eyeball itched."

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Passive listening? Is an awesome new phrase. And that alien rocks.