Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Little Blue Birthday Box

Anyone who know me knows that I make a big deal out of birthdays.  PB laughs that I stretch my birthday out to a week with all the lunches and dinners with different groups of friends. I give the boys special "mama" presents on their birthdays, and I like to make sure they have a special cake.  I wake them up on their birthday singing, and when they're older I will consider taking them out of school that day to do something special. 

Why?  I like to think that a birthday is a day to celebrate you.  Yes, I love you 365 days a year, but that one day is about you being a special person.  Not just one of the millions, not one of my two kids, or part of my family or one of my friends.  You're always those.  Your birthday is a reminder to me that I should show you how much I appreciate you.  I think everyone deserves that for one day of the year.  A showering of gifts, of unfettered love and adoration.  The other 364 I expect humility, sharing, doing for others.  Your birthday?  Be a little selfish. 

That's why I have no problem celebrating my own birthday. It's a matter of pride.  I have lived a good 37 years.  I've done a lot of different things that make me proud of my life.  I've adventured, I've persevered, I've loved, lost and learned.  And you know what?  I look like krappe for 29, but for 37?  Damn, I look good.

Anyway, I love a good celebration.  I love special food, and dessert.  I like buying and getting presents.  To me?  It's all just good fun.  Picking out that one special thing you know the person will enjoy.  The thrill of the hunt, and the anticipation of whether or not they'll love it as much as you do.

If you don't do birthdays, I understand.  I never force people to celebrate.  Ok, mostly.  PB gets a cake whether or not he wants one because his birthday is in August, where there are no other holidays to celebrate.  And I like ice cream cake.  But if you won't enjoy getting or picking out a present I accept that.  Don't bother.  If the sentiments not there, it's not there.  No need to force it.

And that's about it in a nutshell.  Thanks to everyone who sent wishes my way, I am having a great birthday.  PB and the boys spoil me everyday, and today was no exception.  LG woke up at 2:am calling for me to wish me a happy birthday and ask if we could eat cupcakes.

5 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Happy birthday, MB!!!!
I agree that celebrating your birthday the way you want to is the way to go. I was going to take my birthday off, I do every year, but things came about that I just had to go to work and I'm glad I did. I had a wonderful birthday breakfast with my work friends.
But today is YOUR day. Eat those cupcakes!!!

VandyJ said...

Happy Birthday!
I complain about my birthday, but since it is in August we celebrate it because, like you said, there is nothing else to celebrate in August.
I hope you have a wonderful birthday!

CSkaryd said...

I'm trying to to picture LG on a 2am cupcake induced sugar rush. Yikes!!

The Crazy Coxes said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! You deserve a celebration!

Michele said...

Dang it! I was out of town and missed your birthday. I hope you did celebrate it all week long.