Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A brief rant...

Ok, I'm dusting off the soap box.  The latest round of idiocy has gotten my panties in a bunch, and I need to vent.  Get a beverage, take a seat (or leave, your choice).

How is it that so many people in our country feel entitled to help?  Help, they insist, the government should be giving them.  Help with their medical expenses, help with their food needs, help with childcare, birth control, animal care, entertainment.  If people don't have the funds for things they want (and sometimes, I'll grant you, need) they government should have a program for it.  When did that become the standard?


Here is what has set me off.  Miss Scarlett Johansson, bless her well coiffed soul, is pissed that some Republican Congress persons want to cut funding for Planned Parenthood.  She touts all the wonderful things Planned Parenthood does (offer free PAP smears, and breast exams, birth control).  She fails to point out that they are the largest provider of abortions in our country, but I'll overlook that for this rant.  I agree with her that it is a good organization.  It should exist.  Where we disagree is the idea that it should be publicly funded.  If Miss Johansson, and her fabulous friends, each opened up their wallets a bit, Planned Parenthood wouldn't need government funding. And all of the people who don't like Planned Parenthood (and there are plenty of those, too) wouldn't feel like they were paying for something they don't want.

Same thing with NPR and PBS.  Tons of famous rich people want those of us less well off to have exposure to public radio and television.  I agree.  Sesame Street is a good thing.  It helps less fortunate kids get a head start on letters and numbers before they hit kindergarten (and keeps my kids from killing each other for about an hour a day). Is this the government's responsibility, though?  Nope.  If half the celebrities who appear on Sesame Street gave more to the cause (I'm looking at you Denzel, Stevie Wonder, Barbara Walters and Susan Sarandon) I bet the funding problems would come to a screeching halt.  And, again, people who think NPR is liberal bull krappe wouldn't be paying for it at all.

Amazing thought, huh?  The rich helping out the poor without having government involved at all. I don't mean they should give a $1,000 here or there.  I mean, sell a mansion, and give from the bottom of your wallet  heart.  If you feel so much for the kids or the puppies (Sarah McLaughlin) or women's health, then help your neighbors.  Why do people feel that it's the government's job to keep everyone happy and healthy?  It's not.   It's also not the government's job to level the economic playing field (only the legal one).  If you want everyone to be equal, then equality should start with you.  Give it all away to the needy, and move into the 3 bedroom colonial next to mine, Miss Johansson, if you feel that all these programs are necessary.  We throw a hell of a block party out here in the burbs.

My biggest beef with all these people is that these arguments are all just a distraction.  The government needs to be out convincing people that reforms to medicaid, medicare and social security are necessary NOW.  They know it, they just don't want to talk about it because it would scare the people who voted for them.  It's far easier to say, "I tried to stop the liberals from giving out free abortions." then it is to say, "Hey, I know it sucks that you won't retire until you're 67, but at least they'll be a check there for you if we do it this way."  They don't need to be quibbling over what pet program gets a tiny bit of the budget.  Argh.

Ok, I'm getting down now.  I'm sure I pissed someone off.  It's tough living in a battle ground state.  We get a lot of political krappe out here, and not too much in the way of the truth.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Yet another reason I love you.

Sorry folks - you're going to have to face facts, and those facts are that we will be owned by the Chinese inside of 15 years if we don't do something about the budget - and the beginning to that something is to start cutting entitlement programs. Again, I'm sorry, but the only thing you're entitled to as a United States citizen is life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness.

Don't tell me I'd feel differently if I were poverty-stricken because I was at one point. I went without a car. I went without cable television. I went without a computer and internet access. At one point I went without a telephone. I went without health insurance. I lived in a bad neighborhood. My kids slept on the floor at one point. I did all of this without expecting anyone else, much less the government, to do anything for me, and I worked hard to get myself out of the situation I was in. By myself. End of story.

Sorry, there, MB - here's your soapbox back. I didn't mean to yank it out from under you.

VandyJ said...

I so agree. We have become a society that thinks the government should bail you out, and someone else is always to blame fro what goes wrong--it's never your poor choices, it's someone else who did it.
I grew up knowing if I made bad choices I had no one to blame but my self. But then I come from a very conservative state.

Mama Badger said...

Jan makes a point. I should remind people that when I met PB, I had 3 jobs and was still in school. None of them were "good" jobs. I had to share an apartment with 4 other people. I didn't "qualify" for government services of ANY KIND. There were lots of times when I didn't have a car, health insurance, internet access or cable (uhm, I didn't have cable until I moved in with PB, and only at his insistence). I collected unemployment for 5 months of my life and searched like hell for a job in those months. I don't think I'm speaking out of turn, here.

MamaBear said...

Amen. Amen. Amen.

I recently graduated from college and spent my entire college career without health insurance. Did I need a PAP smear? You bet. Would it have been nice to take my kid to the dentist before she turned 5? Absolutely. To get those benefits I worked damn hard to achieve a higher education and get a good job with benefits for me and my family. We are such a coddled nation now, and if we don't watch it- it will destroy us. We still don't have cable television- no time, no need.