Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Random Tuesday Thoughts

Welcome back to another episode of "Random Tuesday Thoughts".  I'm your host Mama Badger.  

->I'm very sad that Jack LaLanne and David Nelson have died this month.  We're not even a full month into 2011 and stars from my childhood are dropping like flies.  Ok, maybe I only knew them from Nick at Night, but still.  I feel for poor David Nelson.  Always in the shadow of Ricky.  Sigh, Ricky Nelson was dreamy, though.

->Did you celebrate Pie Day on Sunday?  (no, you big dork, not pi day, that's 3-14, PIE day.)  We had 4 delicious pies to celebrate the occasion.  A pizza pie (for lunch, this was the only store bought one), a Chicken Pot Pie (for dinner), a french silk pie, and a banana cream pie.  Mmmmm.  Pie.  I posted on FB about the piestravaganza, which led me to find out that some people...  don't. like. pie.  What the hell is wrong with them?  Seriously, pie can be almost anything.  I find it very hard to believe that there is not a single variety they find appealing.  Some people just suck.

->  I gave up the ghost and changed LG's swim lesson from "Big Boy Lessons" (without a parent) back to "Little Guy Lessons" (with a parent).  A Mama can only take so many weeks of listening to her kid cry across the pool for the full 1/2 hour.  Damn.  The teachers were nice and all.  He did everything they asked, with no challenges.  He just cried the whole time.  I'm pretty sure nobody enjoyed it, so why bother keeping that going?   If he cries with PB tonight, though?  He's toast.
->  I'm thinking of getting LG a fish for his "big" birthday present.  A beta.  Nice bowl set up, low maintenance.  He can feed it, and help keep the water clean.  Watch it swim around.  PB is against the idea.  Not because it will be hard to take care of but because it will die long before LG goes to college, and he doesn't want to deal with that.  I understand, but have a different theory.  My cats are OLD.  13, even.  One of them will go in the next year or two, I'm pretty sure.  If the fish goes first, it will ease him into the idea.  Because god knows PB and I will be far too much of a mess to deal with the boys when one of these cats finally buys the farm.

->Stephen Tyler is on American Idol.  I was going to skip this season, but now I'm hooked.  He's pretty funny.  I don't even mind that he's flirting with girls who are young enough to be his GRAND daughter (PB tried to refute that fact, but no, it's true.  He's 63.  Almost all of the contestants are young enough to be 3rd generation Tylers).  I'm hoping having someone with musical talent will spruce up the show.  The first person to try to say J-Lo or Paula have talent gets their comment deleted.

->  PB and I actually got to go out this weekend.  On a date.  Outside the house.  With no kids.  And rum.  I'd say more, but this is a family site.  I will toss out, though, that it is nice to be able to throw out an F-bomb now and again and not worry that you'll be getting a call from school the next day.

Go see Keely for lovely parting gifts.  Or something like that.

10 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Even I'm back to watching Amer Idol this season and only because of Steven Tyler. I LOVE his commentary!

allstarme said...

Yay for date day! We do it and it rocks. Though we forgo rum in lieu of margaritas.

Jan said...

I have never seen an episode of American Idol.

There, I said it. Does that qualify me for tar and feathers?

I LOVE pie, much more than cake. If I go off my diet, it will be for pie.

The Crazy Coxes said...

Wow- how did I miss pie day???? What a travesty. Unfriend everyone on your FB who doesn't like pie!

I hope the swim lessons go better! Good luck!

VandyJ said...

We had pot pie on Friday. Does that count? Probably not. We have watched a bit of American Idol this year, but it hard with kids who would rather be watching anything else. And I'm not really interested enough yet to DVR it.

Terrie said...

i can't believe i missed pie day! my 6th grade math teacher made the whole class pies on pi day. she rocked.

Kristine said...

I have an impossible coconut pie in the oven now. I can hardly wait. People that dont like pie are freaks.

Stacy Uncorked said...

I missed PIE day? Say it isn't so!

I haven't watch American Idol yet this year - I've watched every year since it started. We've been so busy with our remodel, it's sitting on my DVR waiting... ;)

WooHoo for Date Night! :)

RTT: Head Colds and Renovations

Captain Dumbass said...

WHAT! PIE DAY?!?!?! Why was I not informed of this?

And beta's are pretty hardy. Mine is 3 years old now and he has taken a lot of abuse. I finally got tired of changing his water all the time and threw him in our aquarium. After beating the hell out of all the goldfish, who are twice to three times his size, they are all getting along nicely.

formerlyonlyamovie said...

We used to live a town away from Steven Tyler and often saw him at the mall. Or hardware store.

And he totally makes American Idol worth watching. So smart and funny and not mean.