Friday, January 28, 2011

Do you remember?

Today's post is in memory of Dick Scobee. Michael Smith. Ellison Onizuka. Judith Resnik. Ronald McNair. Christa McAuliffe. Gregory Jarvis.  

When I was little, people used to say to each other, "Do you remember where you were when you found out Kennedy was shot?"  And I thought it was weird.  It was completely incomprehensible to someone young that a single event could impact so many people that profoundly.

Today, now?  Not so incomprehensible.  I remember exactly where I was when I heard about the Challenger explosion.  Actually, I didn't hear.  I watched.  I was in 6th Grade, and since one of my teachers had been initially selected to test for the program, we had a TV in our classroom to watch live.  I remember seeing the Principle cry.

There are, unfortunately, other mass tragedies that are burned on my memory also.  But today's not about them.  Today is for remembering 7 people who wanted to soar among the stars, but never got the chance.  May they rest in peace.

8 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

I was in Mrs. Rigsbee's fourth grade class. We were coming back from lunch and I remember the sense of urgency the aide had in getting us to our room. We were joined by all the other fourth grade classes since ours was the one with the tv in it.
We watched the news footage over and over, I just remember thinking I was too young to see this and my dreams of becoming an astronaut dimmed seeing how dangerous space exploration truly is.

Annabelle said...

I remember. I remember watching it on tv, with the rest of my class.

I remember that being the first time I had ever witnessed a tragedy. It was a sureal moment.

VandyJ said...

I was in my seventh grade science class and we were watching a video of an antelope relocation. The eight grade teacher, Mrs. Ray stuck her head in the room and told us the challenger had just blown up. It was sort of surreal, but the school put TVs in the lunchroom so we could all watch the coverage and I think that is the first big national thing I really remember.

The Crazy Coxes said...

You all are so much younger than I am! I was a senior in COLLEGE! I worked for the university newspaper. I hadn't taken ANY PE classes. I signed up for bowling because a) it was right below work b) I didn't have to change my clothes and c) I hate to sweat. I was in bowling class and all of the TV's at the lanes were on and we watched it live. I remember thinking it was unbelievable!

formerlyonlyamovie said...

I was a junior in college. I had been home that morning and watched it live and was shell shocked, of course, like the rest of the world... I went to my afternoon class, and no one else in the class knew about it yet. Ack.

Hannah Hammonds said...

I remember too. I was in first grade, watching as well. At the time my best friend wanted to be an astronaunt and I was so afraid she was going to die if she did.
Anyway, on to my adult life. AFter my daughter was born and I was going back to work part time I worked at a Challenger Learning Center. Its a fantastic program that the surviving families set up to "continue the mission". Check it out - http://www.challenger.org/. This is our local center - http://www.clcpaducah.org/

Captain Dumbass said...

Think I was in grade 8. I remember the librarians had a tv set up.

tulpen said...

I was in Mr. Zucchi's seventh grade social studies class. He used to pick his nose and wipe it on his beard. I took care of him demented ass in the nursing home a couple years ago.

That was the day I suffered my first migraine. I thought I was going to die.