Friday, November 12, 2010

Spin Cycle- Perfection

This week's Spin Cycle topic is perfection.  And, as you can see, I procrastinated it.  But we'll get down to it now.

I'm not a perfectionist.  Ok, that's an understatement.  I'm a "do the best you can" kind of girl.  And that applies to all areas of my life.  My house?  The cleanest I can make it without neglecting something else.  My job?  The best I can do with the brains I have.  My cooking, crafts, writing?  Yeah, you get my best, but I know it's not anywhere near perfect.

My boys?  Well, ok. They're perfect.  Perfect BOYS, which means dirty, loud and sometimes they bite. I take almost no credit for that.

I always thought that trying to make things perfect would just drive you nuts.  There are so many variables to every situation that you can't control.  Why assume you can and then be disappointed when a little snafu changes your course?  Much easier to go with the flow and view the "imperfections" as what makes life real.

If it makes you feel better, I don't expect perfection from others, either.  Frequently, when my MIL knits something for us, she will show me the mistakes in the finished product.  To which I always respond, "Mom, nobody would have noticed if you didn't point it out.  It's beautiful."  When PB finishes up a home improvement, all he can see are the "mistakes".  All I see is that now the fridge runs, there is hardwood where there used to be carpet or the leaves are in nice piles up at the front of the lawn.  People always see their own work for its flaws, not its beauty.  Human nature, I suppose.

On that note, here's hoping that everyone has a weekend that makes you smile, even if it's not perfect.

15 comments:

Stacy Uncorked said...

Love this! And you're right - people see their own work for their flaws, when no one else notices those flaws...or other people think they're beautiful because of the flaws. :)

Have a great weekend! :)

Spin: Perfection

Jan said...

I am very guilty of seeing and acknowledging the beauty in the works of others, and only seeing the flaws in m own.

Wonderful Spin!

Casey said...

Here here. I don't try to be perfect because it's impossible. Survive, yes...

VandyJ said...

My mom, who does all things crafty, has a saying--Finished is better than perfect. She has to regularly remind herself of this, or nothing would get done for trying to make it perfect.

annabelle said...

Amen to saying screw perfection.

The pursuit of it CAN drive people insane. Falling short of it WILL drive people insane. Expecting it from others IS insane.

Let it go folks - it's like trying to touch a rainbow.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I'm usually the first one to point out all the flaws in something I do. Hell, I even go out of my way to do it. :-)
I think sometimes, we may be fishing for compliments when we point out the error, to get the answer, "I love it anyway" or "what imperfections? It's exactly what it should be!"
You're linked!

The Crazy Coxes said...

Nice perspective.
I'm a little bit more of a control freak. I don't expect perfection but close! ;) Also, I don't expect perfection from neighbors, friends or relatives. Phew!

Jimmy said...

You are right that we always point out the flaws and mistakes in our own work when others can't see them, sometimes we may be fishing for compliments or maybe we are just looking to see if the flaws are that noticeable.

Either way it is human nature and we are all perfect due to our imperfections and flaws.

Captain Dumbass said...

Well said.

Pseudo said...

I loved this post. The happiest people I know have the kind of grace and acceptance that you describe. I strive for this.

Not a perfectionist, but I live with one. I'm more a worrier at times.

Ellie Belen said...

Why do we do that, point out the flaws? Is it because we don't want others to think that we think we are perfect. Ironic. Great spin.

Nessa said...

You are so right. The pursuit of perfection is a no-win battle.

tulpen said...

My weekend was pretty close to perfection. Didn't have to work. Cousins playing. Husband cooked awesome meal. And am now relaxing with laptop and wine and Harry Potter marathon.

I had a good friend in High school tell me once with pride;

"I can't do anything well, but I can do a lot of things half-assed".


Words to live by.

Sandra said...

OMG you're so healthy! You need to become a motivational speaker for the perfectionists in the world. Your byline could be: for those who are too busy trying to be perfect to do their best!
Whaddya think? Am I on to something?

Frogs in my formula said...

Great post. Striving for perfection is an exercise in futility.