Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Random Tuesday Thoughts

It's the last Tuesday before the start of the "Holiday Season".  Can you tell I'm excited?  Not that I didn't start listening to Christmas music last week.  But you couldn't hear that all the way over at your house, right?  


->  Because I promised Tulpen, here's my rant on nurses.  Last Thursday night I had to return to the Dr for the sinus infection that refuses to go away.  I was already peeved because I had been to see the Dr twice for this already.  If my doctor had been available, she probably would have just called something in.  Doctor on call insisted that I go into the office.  I arrive nice and early, and to my surprise was called right in.  The nurse starts filling out the chart and decides on some idle chit chat.  That's when it began sliding down hill.  Her first comment was, "You're dressed nicely, are you going out tonight?"  I responded, "No, I didn't have time to change after work.  I had to give the kids dinner before I came over."    Her:  "Oh, is your husband at work?"  Me:  "No, he just got home, too.  He'll give them their baths."  Her:  "Oh, my husband and I work opposite shifts so that I don't have to put the kids in daycare."  Did you see the jump into bad right there?  Me:  "Oh, that's nice.  My husband and I both work days, so my kids go to (insert name of ridiculously expensive, well run, clean daycare here)."  Her:  "  "Well, I think my kids do better with my husband and I.  I mean, we didn't have kids to let someone else raise them."  Me (not rising to the bait, even though I wanted to beat her silly):  "We all have to do what we think is best.  They don't have night work for accountants and engineers, and my boys really benefit from the interaction with other people.  I'm sure your kids won't have a problem adjusting to real school at all."  Ok, I had to get in that one last jab.  Because, really?  This seemed like an appropriate conversation to her??? What's next, politics?  Religion?  Do me a favor, lady.  Stick to discussing how nice and low my blood pressure is.
->  This is just one of the over 400 photos from little o's Year 1 photo shoot.  Our photographer is amazing (and if you live in Ohio and just need incredible photos, I'll send you his info.)

->  The WSJ had an interest article the other day about the lost art of whistling.  The author spoke about how few people whistle anymore, and how many people do not teach their kid to whistle.  That makes me sad.  My Dad and I can (could) both whistle through our teeth (not that obnoxious cab call, really whistle a song).  I can't wait until the boys are old enough to see if one of them inherited that trait. 

->  Did anyone else enjoy the B1G1 extravaganza at Starbuck's last weekend?  On Friday afternoon, a co-worker and I took orders and we started the "holiday" weeks by sharing caffeinated bliss.  Those who don't drink coffee were not as celebratory.  TDB.

->  One of my co-workers asked my AA if my kids were adopted, based on the new school photos in my cube.  She thought they looked like adoptees from Russia.  The AA got a good laugh at that one.  Because my kids might not look like each other, but they do look just a bit like my husband and I.  The person who invents the "idiot filter" for people's mouths will make millions.

->  The boys swim instructor will turn 80 in December.  I don't even have words to describe how amazing it is that someone who is 79 can spend all day, every month of the year, in a pool teaching toddlers how to swim.  And I'm pretty sure she's neither let anyone drown or tried to drown them.  Incredible.

Ok, I'm randomed out.  Since this will most likely be my last post before the holiday, 

Happy Thanksgiving!

now, go see Keely.

8 comments:

kendrasue said...

The pictures are SO cute! And I would have given looks that would have shot daggers at the nurse. Absolutely not appropriate dr. office chatter.

Barb said...

Hi. Stopping over via Keely. Ahh, Starbucks. I'm drinking my skinny carmel latte right now. But did you notice the prices went up? Good thing I'm not addicted like my sis. Your kids are adorable. Happy Thanksgiving!

VandyJ said...

I can whistle through my teeth too. Turbo keeps trying to learn to whistle with his lips. He's almost there.
You have a couple of very cute little guys. I need to scan the pics we had taken recently of Turbo and Bruiser--even though Bruiser would not smile at all--he wanted to cry instead and finally settled on a scowl.

Jan said...

I'm sorry, all I read was "blah blah blah idiot @$#%ing nurse blah blah blah ADORABLE LITTLE O blah blah blah HANDSOME LG blah blah blah."

Oh, and something about someone whistling through their teeth.

Sprite's Keeper said...

The patent on my idiot mouth filter is pending. Extra bitter for people like that nurse.

Captain Dumbass said...

Ha ha. Your adopted Russian children are cute. My kids look adopted too since they're darker than me but lighter than my wife. Of course, I'm not the one who gets mistaken for the kids nanny.

The Crazy Coxes said...

I LOVE the photos (Even if "the" kids aren't really yours and are from daycare! ;) ).

We made the mistake of teaching our kids to whistle. I can always hear Garrett whistling away in the basement. Actually...I like it. It's a good mood gauge.

only a movie said...

Your children are adorable.

That nurse is an idiot. I was in a similar situation a few years ago and I nearly bit a hole in my tongue.

happy turkeyday.