Monday, August 2, 2010

Spin Cycle- Firsts

Sprite's Keeper is back from her remodeling.  Go see the new digs and read some Spin's on "Firsts".  

There are so many places to go with this one.  The first bike, the first smooch, the first pet.  Blah, whatever.

Does anyone remember their first book? Not necessarily the first one you owned, but the first one you called your own.  One you didn't have to share, or hand down.  One you never "got too old for" and let fall by the wayside.

I remember the day my Dad brought my first book home.  I was about 7 or 8.  A client of his was closing his bookstore (he was retiring, and had no children who were interested in running a bookstore, so he closed up shop- sad, huh?).  As a gift for all his years of help and good advice, he gave my Dad a box of books.  All sorts of books.  A big picture book of David the Gnome.  A few photography books.  A gigantic international cookbook.  And there, in the middle, My Book.  A slightly tattered copy of Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends".  

At first I didn't realize it was my book.  I left it in the box while I browsed through David the Gnome and some other kids books.  There were a lot of words and not enough pictures.  Skip.  But when my Mom asked us to take the ones we wanted so she could bring the rest to the library, I took that one.  Who knows why?  I wish I could say the minute I opened the cover, I knew.  I read and read.  But that would be a lie.  It sat on the bookshelf for years.  When  finally opened it, though, I did fall in love.  With Sara Silvia Cynthia Stout, and Ickle me, Pickle me and Tickle me, too.  I've been eaten by a boa constrictor (and I didn't like it one bit).  I know the dangers of a sticky peanut butter sandwich. 

I took the book to college with me, and to each apartment and house since.  It's one of the few that always gets unpacked.  It sat next to Shakespeare and Hemingway.  Because, subject aside, Shel Silverstein is one of the great authors of our time.

Now the book sits on LG's book shelf.  PB reads a few poems to him each night (from this and the other Shel books).  His favorite is the crocodile dentist.  


What about you?  What was first book you claimed for your own? 

4 comments:

VandyJ said...

I don't remember the first book that was my own but I do remember the first chapter book I read. My mom had lots of books around and I was about 9 when she said I could read one of the ones from the shelf. I choose a Bobbsy Twins book. And then I moved on to her original edition Nancy drew.

Sprite's Keeper said...

"Monster at the end of this book". I read it to Sprite and she pretty much knows it by heart now. Love that! You're linked!

only a movie said...

I think The Secret Garden or Chronicles of Narnia. I know I got The Chronicles in a boxed set for by 8th birthday. (Still have it - a mess - it's in my classroom!)

Good topic for a spin!

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site outoftheboondocks.blogspot.com
Is this possible?