Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Spin Cycle- Poetry




Because Sprite's Keeper is a natural poet, she occasionally thinks we should all show our natural "talent".  I have none.  So I subject you to this:
Night sounds

The hum of the refrigerator,
Cat footfall on the stairs,
The water heater grumbles from below.
The rustle of a sheet,
The sigh of a little boy turning over,
An owl hoots outside the window.
The neighbor’s car door slams,
A squirrel scampers on the roof,
The house settles with a creak.
The bathroom lights snaps off,
Slippers shuffling on carpet,
A voice says, “Come to bed.”

It's the best I've got for poetry these days.  I used to have creativity stored somewhere that I could pull it out for entertainment purposes.  Lately, all my creative energy has been channeled into making lunches that my kid might eat at school.  A complete waste, I know, but most art is wasted on its audience, right?

10 comments:

Jan said...

I feel your lunch pain, even though my kids are grown - I think if I send one more article about processed food to Oldest Son in an attempt to get him to reevaluate his bachelor diet, he may disown me.

And your poem is WAY better than mine. WAY.

blueviolet said...

Creativity in lunches is a gift! I think you're doing fine!

The Crazy Coxes said...

I really like it.
I like the imagery!

Captain Dumbass said...

Exactly.

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

I loved your poem, and I love sound imagery. Was it own or owl though?

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

"Cat footfall on the stairs,
the water heater grumbles from below;"
Hello????This is good. Really.

pegbur7 said...

I don't know why you don't think that's creative? That was awesome. You took me right there. Great spin!

Jami said...

I'm not sure I could construct a poem to save my life, so I think yours is just great! ;)

CaJoh said...

I like how it has a whole bunch of night-time sounds. I especially like the line at the end. No need to sit up listening to the night when the night is actually calling to you to come to bed.

Excellent Spin,

Kate said...

I thought it was a great poem!!