Friday, May 28, 2010

Spin Cycle- The Prom

This week's Spin Cycle is all about the Prom (the Prom, Prom, Senior Formal-what do they call it where you're from?)  Anyhoodle, I gave you about all I have about my own prom this time last year.  It wasn't very exciting, I promise.  

As I was cleaning my gutters this afternoon, realizing I haven't been too good about doing a Spin Cycle recently, I wondered what new info I could give you.  I pondered the Prom, and instead of thinking about the past, I pondered about the future.  

Please don't get me wrong, I love my boys to no end.  I love the snippets and snails and puppy dog tails.  Ball caps and trucks and little sweater vests.  But there are things I'm going to miss out on because I don't have a girl.

Aside:  Please don't leave a comment about PB and I having another baby.  #2 is less than a year old, this idea has been tabled.  And even if we did have a 3rd, it wouldn't be because we want a girl.  That's just setting yourself up for disappointment.  If we try again, it will be because we want a 3rd baby, boy or girl.  Back to the story.

Right now I do miss being able to put someone's hair in piggy tails, and buy little dresses on holidays.  Fancy hats for Easter, and dolls that you can dress up.  But I only miss it for a second.  I have lots of neices, and LG has a girlfriend, and I can get out all my cutsie stuff on them.  But not having a little girl means not having quite the same experience for most of the major life events.  Prom is just one of those things.

When the boys go to prom, we'll have to shell out the clams for a tux, a haircut (hopefully), the tickets and maybe a limo.  But we won't have to go to 9 different stores, and spend hours on the phone wondering if we got the right dress.  We won't have  a hair appointment, and wonder if we should pay for a professional manicure, of if I should paint her nails at home.  There won't be a discussion about whether or not she has to attend school for the whole day, or if she can cut out after 4th period (which is when our school allowed kids going to the prom to leave!)  I won't get any of that.  If I'm lucky, the parents of the girls that are my boys dates will invite us over to take a few pictures and see them all off in the limo (and if I'm not lucky, I won't get to see them with their dates at all).  It's kind of sad.

The same goes for weddings.  I'll get my limited "Mother of the Groom" role, and I'll have to settle for looking stunning in light blue.  But it's the brides mother that helps search for a dress, and pick out flowers.  

I know I should look on the bright side.  I can hear the mother's of teenagers say, it's a blessing not to have to fight over hem length, or too much makeup.  Worrying about what they do when they stay out all night.  But, all the same, it's fun, too.

And that, Spinners, is what Prom means to me right now. 

8 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Sorry, Sprite caught a stomach bug which kept me busy last night.
I think. being on the other side of the coin, I can agree and disagree with you. I actually have a post I'm working on about the joys and horrors of having a girl. :-)
While you have more limited involvement with helping boys get ready, you also don't have to deal with the girls crying and calling you the worst mother in the world because you couldn't afford the silk hankerchief she wanted to wear like a dress. :-)
So there's that..
You're linked! (I linked you on the tech Spin since we started that one yesterday.)

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I've thought about this too...how I can't dress my little boy up for things, but I also have five nieces so maybe I can help them get ready for their prom one day! :-)

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I really enjoyed when my boy did his prom. He went with a friend and we drove over and all took photos, then all the parents of the kids renting their stretch limo wound up at the pick up point with our cameras and clicked away. If you're lucky they'll have wonderful GF's who share some of the girly stuff with you.
And I don't have to tell you that you also are fortunate enough to miss out on the bitchy princess crap. Not that either of MY daughters has ANY issues with that...

pegbur7 said...

Like Maureen said, maybe you'll end up with GF that include you. My oldest daughter invited her future mom in law when we went dress shopping, etc. for the wedding. Yes, My daughter IS a doll! :-)

Patty O. said...

I can see where you are coming from. I am lucky in that I have 2 boys and 1 girl, so I get to (hopefully) take part in those big events from both sides. But I could see if my daughter decided not to go to prom or eloped rather than having a big wedding--I would definitely be a bit sad and disappointed.

Here's hoping you have great daughters-in-law and/or girlfriends of your sons who will involve you!

viewfromdownhere said...

Hi, I found your blog through the Spin Cycle...I don't have kids yet, so I can't really relate, but I can tell you that some girls (myself included) can be a real pain in the you-know-what when getting ready for dances/proms/etc. I was about as low maintenance as they came, and my mom and sister basically had to basically pick out the dress. They picked out a good one, but I wasn't into the whole spending 9 hours in the mall looking for the perfect dress.

Hopefully with grandchildren in the future and future daughters-in-law, you can share in some of this, though!

gretchen said...

I must say I'm pretty relieved that I don't have to do all the girl mom stuff. I'll be happy being able to show up looking fab and be mother of the groom, and not have to do all that planning and hysteria.

VandyJ said...

The drama, I won't miss the drama girls bring to any occasion. My boys are fabulous and we will give the best rehearsal dinners going at marriage time.