Monday, May 10, 2010

I'd Rather Be... Monday

The prodigal husband has returned!  With prezzies for all!  (ok, not all, but those of us who are important at least).  More about that tomorrow.

To the main event, though:

I'd rather be at work than planting stupid trees.  Every year the Arbor Day Foundation sends me 10 baby trees as a "gift" for my donation.  And then I feel the need to put these TINY little trees into big buckets and try to get them to grow (or give them away for someone else to try).  Year #1 we put them directly into the yard.  Bad idea.  The deer used them as toothpicks, I'm pretty sure.  Last year we came up with the bucket idea, and I still have the 6 that lived in buckets on my back porch, trying to figure out where to put the damn things.  This year they sent flowering types, since I checked the "plant my 10 trees in an area in need of reforestation" box.  They ignored my box.  And now I have baby trees in my fridge.  Argh.

I'd rather be at work than trying to re-schedule my trip abroad that has been ruined by a gigantic, ever changing ash cloud.  My SIL and MIL had their flight over to Ireland canceled due to the volcano.  They've spent all morning trying to figure out what happens now.  What was supposed to be a great mother daughter trip is turning into a logistics nightmare.  

Apparently, a few of my co-workers would have rather been at work yesterday than negotiating their mother's day nightmares.  One, specifically, said he was trying to navigate between his mother and his mother in law, when his wife finally put her foot down and reminded him that she was the mother of his children and wanted a say in what they did, too.  Uhm, the man's doing the best that he can trying to make his Mom and your Mom happy. Cut him some slack, huh?

Anyhow, there's no avoiding the Monday, so let me know what's cooking on your end.  What misery did the alarm clock end for you this morning?

8 comments:

Mrsbear said...

Holy Cow! Doesn't 10 trees seem a little excessive by way of a thank you. Seriously, I don't know where I'd put 10 trees every single year.

Volcanoes. Ugh. It's not the apocalypse, it's not the apocalypse, it's not the apocalypse. ;)

I'd rather be at work than sweeping up guinea pig bedding my daughter's pet vermin keep kicking out of their cage every time the tussle over territory and wood shaving covered strawberries.

Jan said...

I would rather be at work than explaining to The Young One yet AGAIN why the sheepdog look, combined with excessive amounts of Axe Body Spray, isn't "sexy."

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I'd rather be at work than home where my older daughter (newly home from college) slept till 2 and then took over the washer and dissed my dinner ideas.

The Crazy Coxes said...

I'd rather be at work than doing ANY of those things too!

Good luck with the 10 baby trees.

VandyJ said...

I'd rather be at work than the ER with Bruiser. The kid is going to give me a heart attack before he reaches two, I know it!

Hope you can find a home for the baby trees, we still have some living in buckets on our deck too.

only a movie said...

I'd rather be at work than having a liver biopsy. One of my friend's had one of those last week. Ack.

I totally didn't mind being at work today. Because there are only 22 school days left. And that makes me happy.

blueviolet said...

I made the mistake of planting those baby tree shoots in the ground before too. I wouldn't be surprised if I accidentally pulled them up later thinking they were weeds or something.

Frogs in my formula said...

My Monday blew serious chunks at work so I can't say "I'd rather be at work." More like "I'd rather be in bed!"

10 trees?? Good grief.