Friday, April 30, 2010

The Spin Cycle- Rolls

This weeks Spin Cycle is about roles.  Who are you to whom, so to speak.  Are you a Mom or Dad, Lawyer, Doctor, Indian Chief?  Chief, Cook and Bottle Washer?  How many hats do you wear in an average day?

This Spin speaks to something that's been on my mind a lot lately.  Admittedly, it happens mostly on bad days.  Because some days I feel like I'm putting on the hat, but not doing it justice.  Ever have those days?

Yeah, I'm a Mom, but since I sent my kid to daycare with processed mini-muffins for breakfast after whining at him that he needed to move faster in the morning, exactly how well am I doing on that?  Remember those old Calvin and Hobbes cartoons where Calvin rates his Dad's job performance?  I'm glad LG and little o are too young for that.

I'm an accountant, but if you looked at the Audit schedule you'd know I'm an audit behind right now.  I'm on time to work most days.  I dress the part.  It talk the talk, I walk the walk.  But there are better accountants out there.  I'm not up to date on all the latest rules.  I should be studying harder for the test I need to pass, but I don't make the time (notice I didn't say I don't have the time).

I'm a wife, and a home maker, but have you seen my house lately?  Good Housekeeping won't be bestowing a seal on us any time soon (unless they try to seal the doors to keep the innards from contaminating the universe at large).

We won't go into my role as sister, and the fact that my brother called last week and I haven't managed to return that call yet.

I get into those funks where I have the baseball cap on, but the bat just doesn't feel right in my hands.  I'd love to get into my car, roll down the windows, crank the stereo and head out on the open road.  The thought being that somewhere out there in the Universe is the place where I belong.  Where I'll make a difference and things will feel just right.  I will make that hat look good.

And then I realize that leaving here isn't the answer.  I'm where I want to be.  I love all the hats I wear.  Each one is special.  Yeah, maybe I'm not the greatest all the time, but I'm doing the best I can.  Which is all we can ever really do.  Some days I do hit one out of the park, and I just have to learn to appreciate those days more.  Because when the sun is shining, and we're all singing to the radio on the drive home?  I am the World's Greatest.

10 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Oh, this speaks to me in so many ways.
I hear you. Sometimes, I will be sitting at work, trying my hardest to just dig into my job and get moving, but the pull to just get out and go becomes so strong, I have to grit my teeth.
I'll totally take shotgun.
You're linked!

Kingsmom said...

I know the feeling all too well. Way to bring it back around though.

Jan said...

Yes...somewhere in the universe is the place I belong. With my luck, though, it'd be a gulag. Better to stick with the three-ring circus.

I'm not having the best of weeks either - can you tell? LOL

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I don't know about not belonging. I think you wear all of these hats pretty damned well. I'm continually impressed by all you manage to do!

only a movie said...

I wonder sometimes, what it would be like to have the time to focus on just one role and do it really really well. I feel a lot of that juggling and I wish I was excelling at something.

Oh well.

Great spin, MB.

VandyJ said...

Here at our house we call it cabin fever--the need to get past the city limit sign. Once we are past that we all relax a bit and know the road is in front of us. We take a lot of drives in the boonies for our sanity and for fun. These drives make the daily grind easier to handle.

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

I can relate on some levels- and the thing that I've learned to do is to let go. It only happens a little at a time at first, but eventually you get there. See something easy that needs doing that bothers you- stop and do it then. You'll feel a sense of accomplishment and the day will go smoother. Or at least it does in my world!

blueviolet said...

Sometimes our hats are on crooked, but you know what? They look and feel better that way! ;)

Keely said...

I feel that way a lot too, but I try to remember that the Whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

I could so relate to this.