Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Random Tuesday Thoughts- Blogaversary


Hello and welcome to a very special episode of Random Tuesday Thoughts.  We have some good stuff to cover, so I'll do my shout out to Keely for hosting and get on with the show!

->It's my 2nd blogaversary!  Two whole years of boondocktasm.  Can you imagine?  Who knew two years ago that I'd meet all of you and it would end up being so much fun.  The modern gift for two years is supposed to be china (is that for all those people who did not get the full serving for 8 at their wedding?  sounds like a krappy gift, to me.)   Since I abhor the idea of more dishes in my house (please note that this part was directed specifically at PB's mom!), I'd rather you all go out and have Chinese food for dinner to celebrate with me!  Then pick up some ice cream for dessert, since we all know you'll be hungry an hour later no matter how much you eat.

->  I am going to show my age and say I do not understand fashion today.  I finally fit back into my "regular" jeans.  And when I got them out of the closet, I noticed they're looking the worse for wear.  PB suggested I go buy a new pair or two.  Yeah.  Everything I looked at appeared to be more worn than the ones I was replacing.  What the hell?  Why do I want jeans that look like someone else wore them before I did?  With rips and paint splatters?  Now I'm not going to use the term "dressy jeans" because that'd be all redneck and stuff, but what are you supposed to wear to a nicer (but still casual) place if you're "going out" jeans look the same as the ones you mowed the yard in?  Please, someone under 25, explain the logic here.

->We just got back from our trip to Topeka, Kansas.  It was a great weekend.  We saw a baby cow being born!  Coolest thing ever.  Come back on Thursday if you want some travel tips for flying with two small children.  Come back next Thursday if you want to see our actual trip.  There was just too much excitement for me to get it all into a Random Tuesday post.  Puppies, and horsies and kites, oh my.  

->  I finally found an honest dr that I like.  She looked at my chart and we had a long discussion of my allergies/asthma.  Then she came out with, "To be honest, Mama Badger, medicine is half science and half black magic.  We take what we know and try to apply it the best we can, but everyone reacts differently.  Nobody is a 'textbook' case, they don't exist.  We'll try some different stuff and see if what we throw into the magic cauldron works for you.  If not, we'll try something else until we figure out the right combination.  It might be the first try, it might take us years."  Finally, an answer that sounds reasonable and straight forward.

->  PB goes to France next week.  Stinky face.  But here's where I need your help.  What do they have in France that he could bring me back?  Something French.  That he can get through customs (that's a big stumbling block!)

->  I wish Sprite's Keeper's "appearances" post was this Friday.  On our flight out to Kansas, there was a group of around 15 or so "directional drillers".  Imagine big burly, dirty and foul mouthed miners.  I was a little worried that either LG and little o would be horribly behaved and really make them upset, or the things my kids picked up would be the talk of the weekend.  But neither thing happened.  They thought LG was hysterical.  They kept asking him questions, and getting him excited for the plane ride.  Little o just thought they were fascinating to look at.  During the ride, PB and LG sat behind two of them.  They didn't recline their seats so that LG would have more room.  PB read LG poems from a Shel Silverstein book, and when we went to leave, one of them said he enjoyed them so much he wanted to buy his kids that book!  How funny is that?  Just goes to show, appearances mean nothing in the end.

Well, that about wraps up today's edition of Random Thoughts.  Go visit Keely and have a good week!

16 comments:

blueviolet said...

I love that LG made all those friends on the plane and kept them entertained.

Congrats to you for fitting back into your normal jeans, even if they do need replacing!

VandyJ said...

Finding jeans sucks. And whats with the sizes now? Vandity sizing is all well and good but it does not help to have to try on four pair of jeans before I find the size that fits. Shopping sucks with a toddler.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Congrats on the blogversary.

Agreed on that doctor...my doctor told me the same thing awhile back about allergies. Interesting. So in other words they are saying that they really don't know everything, even when they act like the do...

The Crazy Coxes said...

You do have a lot to celebrate!
Congrats on the blogaversary - I just might have to celebrate with you and have Chinese!

Congrats on fitting into your jeans. Sounds like the ones you have ARE dress up jeans! ;)

I'm glad you had a fantastic trip and the kids were well behaved on the plane. I would be more concerned that the drillers would be well behaved!

Brandy said...

I wish all doctors were that honest!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Congrats on your blogiversary! :)

That's too funny about the guys on the plane - LG must be a little charmer! ;)

I've never understood that whole thing with the jeans, either. Congrats on fitting back in your 'normal' ones! ;)

Your doctor sounds awesome - I miss my doctor from Seattle who was just like that. They're very rare! ;)

only a movie said...

Your doctor sounds like mine. Love it.
Hope PB buys you something either yummy or pretty in France. Cool.

Good luck w/ the jeans search. It's never fun.

Just call me Yankee said...

Glad you found a good honest doctor. That sounds like an oxymoron.

Congrats on the fitting into regular jeans. I recently got some wranglers. They are normal sizing and fit like they should. Levis are good too.

Gotta love burly miner nice guys!
Happy RTT!

Sprite's Keeper said...

Aw, those burly dudes are cool! Nope, it's roles this week, but you could totally spin it about how you would think someone should fit one role and yet they redefine it right in front of your eyes.
You're welcome. :-)

Mrsbear said...

I heart your doctor. Sounds like the kind of honesty a person can appreciate.

I actually bought a pair of jeans with three strategic wears in them. They were my size and on clearance, that's my only justification. I remember ripped jeans being cool in the 90s though, so it might have been a misguided attempt on my part to recapture my youth. Who knows? I wore them once to visit my grandparents who must have asked me 72 times why I left the house in broken pants. lol. I know what you mean though, same shopping trip I saw some really cute cargo pants with heavy wear and paint smears, that was beyond my comprehension, especially paying full price for.

Beta Dad said...

I'm looking forward to your travel tips. Getting panicky about the prospect of flying with infant twins in a couple months.

Fashion tip: wear gym shorts everyday like me.

Captain Dumbass said...

PB is a stinky face.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

2 years??? I am so impressed. Don't know if I'll ever make that...
I love your story about the plane ride. I do like sitting near kids on planes because it's very good entertainment. And you saw a cow get born? Lucky!
Happy Blogoversary!!!

Jenni said...

How about a scarf? They have the most gorgeous scarves in France.

Keely said...

OMG, that is probably the most depressing answer out of a doctor EVER! Probably because it's honest. Sigh.

And I have no idea about the jeans. I looked at some the other day that were not only ripped, but had PAINT smears on them. Uh...I have plenty of THOSE kind of jeans, thanks!

Kingsmom said...

Have you thought about emailing Betsy from MOMFo? She's sure to tell you what to have PB bring you back.

Congrats on the anniv. And I'm down for a movie whenev. (The Birdcage is my alltime favorite movie)