Thursday, March 4, 2010

Travel Tip Thursday- Hinkley, Ohio...




Whew, it's Thursday already?  What the heck happened to this week?  Who stole my M-W?  Oh, yeah.  The auditors.  Never mind.  We're here now, that's what counts.  But we don't really want to be, so we're heading over to Pseudo's for Travel Tip Thursday!  Click the link at the top (since I have no idea how to make the button a link on FireFox's version of Blogger...)

I know, you want something exotic.  But because I just flipped the calendar to March, I realized that it's almost Buzzard Day!  What the hell is Buzzard Day, you ask?  Oh, you just don't know what you're missing (with your Hawaiian sunshine and your sandy beaches and all).

PB and I found Buzzard Day in a feeble attempt to make March in Ohio seem fun.  Apparently, in early spring, many, many turkey vultures (aka buzzards) like to head towards Hinkley, Ohio (read little odd town in the Cleveland vicinity).  Now, to be fair, they come to Cleveland proper, too.  But Hinkley wants to celebrate their return each year.  And they do so with style.

 You head on into the Metroparks to the buzzard roost.  It's where all the cool buzzards hang out.

You visit the Buzzard Scoreboard, to see the buzzard stats for the year.  When the first buzzard flew in, total number sighted so far this year.  Some general stats on the biggest and fattest seen to date.

 
 Then you can go see a live buzzard!  Ewww, they're ugly.  This one was shy, but they have displays and a guy who will let you pet a birdie if you're brave enough (I had absolutely no desire).

 
Then you measure yourself up to the "Wing It" board, so see how your wingspan measures up to a buzzards.  PB would make an impressive birdie, no?

In the end, it's a fun day in the country.  An excuse to take a little road trip.  Buy a t-shirt.  This year, I'm hoping LG is interested.  He'll get to run around the field and see some wildlife.  Little o will just enjoy the people.  Hopefully.  

This year's "Return of the Buzzards Day" is March 15th.  If you happen to be in NE Ohio, stop on by.  We'll buy you a "Buzzard" dog... 
 

7 comments:

Jan said...

I do happen to be in NE Ohio, and a buzzard already lives next door to me. But I'll ignore that and go see ones in the wild that aren't grumpy retired chemists.

blueviolet said...

They look like that monster in the cage! I'm staying as far away as possible!

Captain Dumbass said...

Is there something shady occurring in Ohio every year to attract these birds? Wait, maybe I'm thinking of vultures.

Kristen @ Motherese said...

I'm not to far away from NE Ohio, but I have never heard of this event. What a hoot! (Sorry, lame attempt at a pun; I don't think buzzards hoot, do they?)

Sprite's Keeper said...

I guess buzzards to Ohio are what alligators are to Florida?
Well, at least ours don't fly... There's that..

Erin@TheLocalsLoveIt said...

Buzzard dog? You're kidding right?

Have a great time....maybe pack a picnic?

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

This was fun. I loved Jan's comment, I think I have had similar neighbors in the past...

Thanks for joining the travel, I'm a couple days late, but catching up with my life one chunk at a time!