Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Spin Cycle of Love...

"Life is short and time is fleeting, will you accept my Valentine greeting?"- Poet Smurf

(I know, you get all sorts of culture when you visit the badger den!)

This weeks Spin Cycle is all about love and Valentine's Day. Do you celebrate, or do you let it pass by? All that stuff.

I like holidays. Any holiday. Give me a reason to celebrate and I'll take it. I bake gingerbread ground hogs, for pete's sake. I decorate for all allowable holidays, and even for some that many people don't. I have socks with shamrocks and pumpkins, candy canes and little flags. Right now I have a pencil with little hearts on it at my desk.

As opposed to the many humbugs out there, I like getting a little gift for Valentine's Day. A small bouquet or a box of chocolate covered strawberries. Nothing big, I don't need earrings or a teleflora nightmare, just a little something to say, "Hey, I remembered something other than my wallet and keys this morning." Last year LG made me a Valentine using the sides of his two little fists (did you know that when you make two loose fists and put them together, palms facing in, the opposite side looks like a heart? me neither, but it's damn cute when a 1 year old does it). That's all I want. The occasional, "I love you as more than the person who cleans up after me" token.

I know, I know. Many of you are sitting there saying, "I don't need Hallmark to tell me when to celebrate. I love my husband every day." And I love PB, too. But how many people take the time out on a regular basis to get a thoughtful little something? Or have a special meal? Or anything more than it takes to get through a regular day without passing out at the end, like a runner across the finish line? Not me, usually. We tell each other "I love you" all the time. And I know that I'm appreciated (and hopefully, PB does, too). But to go outside of our normal routine and do just a little more requires a nudge from outside forces.

---->This is probably the place where I should admit that I hate to see people spend $$$ on greeting cards. $4 for a cheesy poem that no one reads? It kills me. While I'm confessing, I should also admit that PB and I tend to be on the practical side for gifts. I got a deep freeze for my birthday last year. And I loved it. So, I might be getting a hand mixer on Sunday. Or maybe a baby bottle warmer (don't go there- I think it would be convenient!) Truthfully, nothing says "I care" more than an item that makes life just that much easier. Those wives that complain about a new vacuum? Uhm, did it come with fancy gadgets? It is nicer than the old one? I'll take that right off your hands if you don't want it. Complain all you want, but I admire a husband who thinks about ways to make his wife's daily existence better, rather than loading her up with trinkets that she'll have to dust. <----- Confession over.

Let's face it, I need something to look forward to in order to get through the winter. After the big holidays, there's sort of a lull. (there's a reason we don't need a holiday in August, huh?) I need my Valentine's Day, and St. Patrick's Day and for us up north, even Easter is pretty much a cold weather holiday. It helps make the cold weather a little more bearable.

So, go ahead and sneer and poo-poo. Get all high and mighty about everyday love. I'll be over here crunching on my chalky hearts and my peanut butter filled thingies.

ps- Have you ever taken a moment to think about all the random krappe you've gotten for Valentine's Day? I did as I got ready for bed last night. My earliest memory was a Valentine themed Holly Hobbie doll (remember her) from my Dad. I loved that doll for years. Never hurts to have Daddy as a Valentine, huh?

14 comments:

suzicate said...

I once got a new garage door for Mother's Day because I asked for it...all for practicality.

Heather said...

I wanted to thank you for stopping by and commenting.
I agree with you. Presents that can be used are the best.

blueviolet said...

The card prices make me sick too. You look at it one time for $4 or $5. I can't do it!!!

VandyJ said...

My favorite anniversary present was the kitchen aide stand mixer Nick got me a couple of years ago. I like flowers as much as the next person but how many vases do you really need. I had to tell nick that I wanted something a bit more lasting than flowers. But I do enjoy dark chocolate turtles.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I want a steam vacuun for Valentine's Day. I'm slowly talking John into it right now... :-)
You're linked!

Captain Dumbass said...

I got my wife pregnant, that should cover all the holidays between now and July, right?

Jan said...

Ok, ok - I'm a bigger sap than I thought...but it's all Beloved's fault!!

Like Vandy, one of my favorite gifts from Beloved was my KitchenAid stand mixer. And my Cuisinart food processor. And my Black and Decker jar opener. And my Cuisinart ice cream maker. And my rack of Amish-made, inlaid wood rolling pins.

I think I sense a pattern here...

only a movie said...

I don't mind a pair of earrings at all... but a cheap pair is just as special. As long as someone went out of their way over and above the status quo...

Great spin

Pines Lake Redhead said...

I had a Holly Hobbie doll too! But not the Valentine edition.

I've lived in the south so long I've forgotten how the little holidays like Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day help get you through the winter months.

I love handmade cards and practical gifts. It's the best of both worlds.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I had a Holly Hobbie doll. Being much older than you, I think mine was in High school. I agree completely about Valentine's day. I'm sick of the "bah, humbuggers." I'll take any reason to celebrate! And it does come at a great bleak time of year, no coincidence. I don't even HAVE a Valentine and I love it.
Again I say: You're so wise...

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

I am one of those people who really gets the little things in life, on a regular basis. Sometimes he surprises me by cleaning the whole house; or by cooking dinner; or by purchasing me a cool new phone. You can stop gagging now. :-)

I love that you bake gingerbread ground hogs. How adorable!

CaJoh said...

I love the idea of practical gifts instead of the traditional ones. My wife finds it funny that when she got me a few gifts for my birthday that the one I got the most excited about was the bottle brush. I may have to take up this tradition myself.

Thanks for sharing,

Patty O. said...

I'm with you on practical gifts. My husband bought me a set of flannel sheets for Valentine's day that were seriously marked down. I LOVE them! And I got a rice cooker that I adore for Christmas.

As for Holly Hobby, I was just telling my husband about a V-Day where my mom gave me a heart shaped box of chocolates with Holly Hobby on it when I was a girl. I loved that gift so much, I kept the box for years!

thelocalsloveit said...

I got a mustache bleaching kit for Christmas. Is there anything better that being told you're upper lip looks like shag carpet?