Friday, February 26, 2010

The Spin Cycle- I confess...

Today's Spin Cycle is confessions.  Getting all those nagging "I'm a bad person" things off of your chest and then feeling better for the confession.  But you guys know me.  I'm rarely one to hold my misdeeds.  I tell you all about it when I suck.  Forgiveness or not, to know me is to know that I'm not perfect.  

Instead, today I will bring you The Seven Deadly Sins.  Because I think we need a refresher course:

Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation. 

Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.

Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.

Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.

While I will admit that I've probably dipped into each of these at least once (did I mention that I'm not on the fast track to eternal salvation?), Pride is probably the one I fall victim to the most.  I am one of those people who has a hard time admitting I'm wrong, or asking for help.  Some call it a fierce sense of independence, but in the end, it's Pride.  Occasionally, I do more than just admit it and feel bad.  I actually work on making it better.  And by dribs and drabs, it has gotten better.  You should have seen me at 20.  I was like a bad James Dean flick, without the good hair and leather jacket.

What about you?  Sliding into Sloth?  Give into Gluttony?  Come on, you know you have.  It's ok.  We'll forgive you over here at the Badger Den.  Just promise you'll try harder next time.


Have a good weekend all.  -MB

9 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

I'm pretty sure I have a hand in each of these sins. Oy. Now I feel worse! :-)
You're linked and forgiven!

VandyJ said...

Pride--sometimes, Sloth--often,(the dishes can do themselves, right? Same for the laundry), Envy--all the time, everyone seems to do things better than I do. (Helps that I see the humanness of other people here in the bloggy world.) Anger--working on this one all the time, disguises itself as annoyance.
Gluttony and lust are the easiest to avoid for me. Although I do have the problem of indulging in shopping more than I should.
Good post!

Jan said...

I'm not sure, but I think Sloth wants me to be its International Spokeswoman.

Aidan Donnelley Rowley @ Ivy League Insecurities said...

"I was like a bad James Dean flick, without the good hair and leather jacket."

Love this. So happy to have stumbled here!

Erin@TheLocalsLoveIt said...

I remember my first confession. I was so nervous. I was never the one to sit openly with the priest but rather hid behind the screen. I think it was a sign of the things to come. Good post.

gretchen said...

Oh yes. I'm thinking my top four would have to be sloth, envy, gluttony and...lust. Oh my.

Mrsbear said...

Lately, I'd say gluttony and sloth are my biggest downfalls. Probably simultaneously, being gluttonous while slothful maybe? That kind of takes effort, right?

Heather said...

Envy..Fall for this one way more than I should.
Gluttony..Ditto
Lust..finally got away from that one.
Anger..I perfer love.
Greed..I'm not greedy, I just wish and want.
Sloth..Only when I want to be.

only a movie said...

I'll compete w/ Jan for sloth... Great post.