Thursday, January 21, 2010

Travel Thursday- Cocoa Beach, FL.

I'm traveling with Pseudo again this week. It's still cold and icky here in the great, white north, so I'm headed south for some sun, sand and a nicely chilled drink. If you want to travel elsewhere, click the button above and visit Pseudo. She'll take you to Hawaii (brink your trunks and your own cold beverage).

My loving in-laws let us borrow their condo in Cocoa Beach, Fl a few years back for a much needed vacation. Sigh. The beach. This is the view off the balcony.

If'n your not from Florida, I'll give you some geographical info. It's somewhere on the Atlantic coast, below Daytona and Orlando. Right outside of Cape Canaveral (which is why my in-laws have a condo there. My FIL is a rocket scientist who used to work for NASA. How cool is that, right?)
Whilst in sunny Florida, they were trying to get a launch off the ground. It didn't happen while we were there, but we did go to the National Seashore and see the space shuttle Discovery sitting on the launch pad.
*** Shameless plug*** If you don't already have one, I would highly suggest getting a passport for our National Parks. The passport splits the nation into regions, and highlights the regions parks. You can get your passport stamped at all of the national parks and many monuments. There is a special stamp for each place listed. There is a lot of other cool stuff about it, but I'll let you read that on your own. You can buy them right at the park gift shop. PB and I love ours. It has led us to a ton of beautiful and interesting places that we would have never thought to have visited otherwise.
The National Seashore is one of the places in the passport, so we got our book stamped and walked around the park for a while, too.

We did travel over to Kennedy Space Center, too, but since the shuttle was on the pad, we weren't allowed to do all of the cool stuff. We shuffled around the museum and hit the gift shop to stay out of the mid-day heat.

In Titusville (about 1/2 an hour away) is one of my favorite restaurants, Dixie Crossroads. I highly recommend the rock shrimp. And taking a picture of the big shrimp outside.
Some random pelicans for your viewing pleasure.
I will admit that we spent most of our time either in the ocean or at the pool (when the sand got too hot). There is a lot to do around Cocoa Beach, though. Visit Ron Jon Surf Shop, go see tikis being carved, or (another one of our favorite things) head down to the local 7-11 for a Slurpee. If your from up north, like us, the orange groves are pretty cool, too.
I'll admit that I like a nice schedule on a vacation. Not a strict schedule, but I usually have some stuff in mind that I'd like to see and do. I try to do something fun every other day. So one day we went to Cape Canaveral, the next day we hung out on the beach. Then we went up to Daytona, and the next day hung out on the beach. PB is usually willing to go along, provided that I add his stuff to the agenda. He even hit the local shopping with me since it was wedged in between two beach days. Not bad, huh?
Ok, back to the grind stone. It might be 5:00 somewhere, but that somewhere ain't in my office.
Hope you're daydreams take you somewhere nice! MB

8 comments:

only a movie said...

I've been to Cocoa. I had a friend who lived there. Went to Kennedy Space Center too. Wicked fun.
Great post...

Jan said...

*sigh* As a fellow resident in the Great White North, these photos make me want to weep.

So beautiful. So...warm.

sage said...

The Cape tour is neat... Around 12 years ago, I was there with my son and we got to see a rocket (unfortunately, not the shuttle)launch. It was at night and that was cool.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Oh, you're lucky to have use of a condo! And I love the idea of the National Parks passport.
I'm like you; I like a mix of lounging and seeing stuff. My older daughter usually makes sure we hit something historic. We give her a hard time, but end up liking it.
Oh, to be in Florida right now...
Thanks for the virtual trip!

Sprite's Keeper said...

I used to love going to Cocoa Beach! I did hate the drive back to Orlando on those deserted dark roads which is what kept me from going too often. Love seeing the shuttle go up though. (The sonic booms when it comes back never fails to flip me out though.)

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

I can't wait to see my sister in Florida again. Next time we are going to tour more. Thanks for taking us along today ; -)

blueviolet said...

It's really beautiful down there!