Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Spin Cycle...


in which I am a complete disappointment to my mother. This one is about Spring Cleaning (and I'm hoping that this is the only way in which I would disappoint my mother, but I can't be sure). When you're done poking at my dust bunnies, go visit Sprite's Keeper at The Spin Cycle and see what everyone else has swept under the rug.


My Mom wasn't a neat freak. She just was. Every day of the week (except Sunday) she cleaned a different room of the house. The rotation is foggy in my memory, but I remember that Tuesdays were bathrooms. Woe to anyone that needed to shower on a Tuesday night. You might think my mom "wasted" hours cleaning like this. But the older I get, the more wisdom I see in this method.

You see, I am a closet neat freak (though PB will contest the closet nature of this). In college, my bed was always made, my rug always vacuumed. All of my after college apartments were neat and tidy. And up until LG, I kept this up. I never worried when guests might show up because the house was always clean. Even with 2 cats. Clean. And neat, for the most part. I did a little each day. Because if you do a little each day, then it only takes a few minutes. It's not a huge project, there is nothing that needs to be scrubbed viciously. Just a light dust, or a gently swipe brings it back up to a gleam. And everybody is happy.

But what does this have to do with Spring Cleaning? Well, when your house is regularly sparkling, you can use your "Spring Cleaning" ticket for big items. Changing out the linens and drapes. Washing all the windows. Then your house is truly a wonder to behold. You sit in your recliner the day after and just bask in the cleanliness. You hate to take out a plate and ruin the pristine nature of the place. You wish someone would come over just so they can enjoy it with you. Ok, maybe that's just me.


However, now I do one big clean about once a month. Sometimes I take a day off of work to so I don't get bothered while trying to get it done. I try to keep up on a regular basis, but let's face it. LG and PB are slobs. They have no qualms about leaving dishes on the counter, or not wiping their whiskers off of the bathroom sink (ewwww.) And so I spend most of my daily labor just keeping the gross at a minimum. Spring cleaning is when I get to Swiffer the walls and vacuum under the furniture. My house is never "sparkling" but it's "clean enough". Sigh. Even if I don't disappoint my mother, it disappoints me.


I won't complain but I do miss the days when I would come home to the scent of Clorox rather than toddler spit and kitty litter. I won't try to change PB into someone who cares about clean, it wouldn't work anyhow. As with everything, I will just do the best I can at the moment.


And now, to keep up with Jan, a picture of my little one:


That's his latest Grammie blanket. I have a great new picture of LG, but I'm saving that for the next "wordless wednesday". You'll have to stop by on the 13th to see it...

As an add on to cleanliness and organization, Blue Violet over at A Nut in a Nutshell is doing a give away of some awesome labels for your stuffs. If'n you need to get your act together, go visit and win some stuff.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

14 comments:

Jan said...

I've never been really big on housework (which drives Beloved nuts - his ex kept their house like she was expecting a photographer from Home and Garden to show up any minute), I "straighten" during the week and "clean" on the weekends. Once every 3 months or so, I get out the wood cleaner/polish and set to cleaning the massive amount of oak furniture we own (and I normally love, when I'm not cleaning it). I usually take the time to wipe down the light fixtures and nice glassware we keep on display when I do that. Spring cleaning is reserved for windows and closets and such.

Little o is adorable! Look at those eyes! And all that pretty hair - Little Guy just has fuzz! LOL

Sprite's Keeper said...

I wish John would keep things tidy more as well. Sprite? Right. Like she knows what the words to the song "Clean Up" mean, even though she sings it. I clean her room and put everything into its place once a week and twenty minutes after I walk out of it, it's destroyed again. It's like she's lying in wait... You're linked!

Keely said...

Ha! I aspire to have a perpetually clean house, but I guess I'm not motivated enough. And hubby actively undoes my work, because his mother used to pick up after him everywhere he went. So I just keep trying to train him, and hopefully when X is older I can recruit him to MY side of the force ;)

VandyJ said...

We try to have people over frequently because it makes us clean up. We tend toward clutter. Things are clean but the stacks of stuff do pile up.

He such a cutie-love the surprised look.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I'm not a neat freak. I'm not big on house work. You'd hate me! :-)

My mom wasn't big on it either, but she wouldn't deal with some of the things I do.

She ironed towels and jeans. Good, Lord....I'm not going to get that bad even if I do finally start cleaning.

That baby is adorable! I agree with Jan...those eyes!

only a movie said...

Sweeet baby photos over here too?

I didn't participate in this spin. Too tired, and sadly, it's not tired from cleaning. Ha.

I'm sure your house is lovely. :-)

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

o looks so sweet in that picture, and I love the blanky.
I agree, it's better to do a little each day. I at least try to maintain. On w/e my kids (the ones living here) all have chores. And dinner cleanup rotates on a weekly basis. That makes Daughter #2 just about Cinderella now, being the only one home. At least, she thinks so.

Casey said...

Wow, you can come clean my house any day of the week. We are complete and total slobs around here, we can't keep up with the cleaning when the kids are awake and are too tired to do it after bedtime most days.

What a cutie, love the picture!

gretchen said...

My mother was a disastrous housekeeper, but somehow I have managed to improve on this. Probably I've been intimidated by my mother-in-laws total, whackadoo, obsessive-compulsive, neatfreakedness. Now THAT woman spring cleans!

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

I loved this, so i guess that makes me a bit of a cleaning dork myself.

That photo of the little one is so adorable. I love the eyes.

Mrsbear said...

You need to give me some pointers, I'm awful with staying on top of housework. It doesn't help that everything I clean is dirty and cluttered 10 minutes later, I'm swimming against the tide! My house occasionally a wonder to behold, but not in the way that you mean...

What a cutie, that baby is. I can't look at him for too long, since mine is so clearly not a baby anymore, it gives me all kinds of pangs, and there is not a square inch of space here for a number 5!

blueviolet said...

Could he be any cuter??? ADORABLE!!

When my house is pristine after a cleaning binge, I walk around just admiring and smiling! lol

thelocalsloveit said...

I'm just plain ol tidy. Not too clean and not too dirty. But my mother was, and still is, a neat freak. I always do just a little more when I know she's coming over. Just so I don't disapoint her.

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it