Friday, January 29, 2010

The Spin Cycle- Happiness

This weeks spin is once again, Happiness. I could put up pictures of the boys and PB, or some more brownies, but there are lots of other things that make me happy. Time to give them some credit.

One of my favorite things in the world is a good book. I'm not picky about genre or author, I'll read almost anything as long as it's well written and engaging. I love the way a new book smells. Paper and ink and cardboard box. The beautiful cover art, and the interesting fonts. There's nothing about a book that doesn't interest and entertain me. Most people don't stop to think how much work goes into a book. The idea, the labor of writing the book, the courage to ask someone to publish it when you're "finished". The strength it takes to have someone edit your work. And that's only the beginning! Picking a cover style, and a font. All the amazing people along the way that do little parts to make a book what it ends up being. Something as simple as a children's picture book takes thousands of hours of work by the time it hits the store shelves.

Books bring people together. Just this morning PB shared with me that one of his favorite things is when he sits on the floor and LG toddles over with a book in his hands. He very carefully turns himself around and backs up into your lap. He snuggles in and gets himself ready for you to bring him on a journey into the story.

Books tear people apart. Think of all the books that people want to ban. Does anyone remember Rushdie's "Satanic Verses" when it first came out? Or Harry Potter? What about the Bible, or the Koran. Books can be a doorway through a wardrobe to paradise or gateway to hell depending on your view. Amazing, huh?

There's nothing better than sitting in your favorite chair with a good book. All alone, you can become part of whatever is going on. Let it suck you right in and take you away. I've noticed that at the roughest times of my life I always read more.

It's also great to be able to talk about your favorite books. When I was back in NY, a good friend and I always used to get together after we had read the new Harry Potter book to talk about it, dissect it, relive our favorite parts. For the 3rd book, we even had a dinner party and invited other people (complete with a bowl of Jelly Bellies serving as "Bertie Bott's Many Flavored Beans"!) Yup, we're big dorks.

If I had the space and the money, I would have stacks and and stacks and stacks of books. As it is, I have stacks and bookshelves and boxes. They get in the way, and PB sometimes grumbles about them. LG has a "book box" which is really little more than a big plastic bin of board books (his fancy books are kept in a bookcase in his room). Face it, in our house books are part of the decor.

And that makes me happy.

For more of our favorite things, click on the button at the top and visit Sprite's Keeper.

Written in memory of J.D. Salinger...

6 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Books make me so happy. Whenever I can get my hands on a stack of books, I will pile them in order of importance, sometimes even saving the best sounding synopsis for last just to make that feeling of a well read story all the better. Yes, I'm weird. And I love the occasional slip up of grammar. It's a quirk. I've accepted it. :-) You're linked!

only a movie said...

Books have always been decor in my house. I get antsy if I don't have several books on deck.

Have a good weekend. :-)

gretchen said...

Long ago, before I had a kid, I belonged to a book club that I loved so much. It was so wonderful, getting together with a group of fun, smart people and talking about a book we'd all just read. I should really try to do it again!

Mrsbear said...

I really do love a good book. I've been refraining from buying them, since I don't have any room to store them, I usually just request them from the library. But every time I go in to a bookstore, I have this overwhelming urge to buy something. As it is I probably fondle more books than Barnes and Noble is comfortable with. ;)

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Nothing better than books! And nice homage to Mr. Salinger...imagine touching that many lives thru words.
We have a Kindle out at work for patrons to play with. And I can see eventually getting one for travel, to not have to drag so many books in the suitcase. But it can't replace holding a book and turning the pages, and the memory of where you were when you read that book...
Great Spin!

Erin@TheLocalsLoveIt said...

I LOVE to read. I just don't have the time these days. I suppose if it really came down to it, I could and should make time.