Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Random Tuesday Thoughts


Tuesday is upon us! No more mourning the weekend, people. Get some coffee and act like you belong. Then hit the button above and see how everybody else is handling the first Tuesday of the holiday season. Tee hee hee.
Today at work I'm being harassed for using a pencil instead of a pen. Uhm, I'm an accountant. That's what we do. It goes along with the calculator. A pen is a lot of commitment. If you make a mistake, you can never really get rid of it. You can cross it out, but the cross out is always there to remind you that something went wrong. It's a distraction. A blot on an otherwise perfect page. What I want to know is why the hell my co-workers care. I think it's because they need a reason to pick on the auditor. I get to pick on them all day, every day (it's my job...) This is their revenge.
The guy by my exit to work that I told you about many posts ago? The one that I can't really tell what his story is? He has a dog. A really cute black puppy. And it looks well taken care of (nice fluffy fur, slightly pudgy). He only has it on sunny days. Which now makes me think he's not homeless, at least. That's good, right?
I'm done with my Christmas shopping. I've been done for a while now. Yet I keep shopping. I see things that I think the kids will like, and magically it's in a bag in my hand. Argh. They need more stuff like I need a Shetland pony! This is what happens when I shop too early. I'm going to blame it on all the good sales, though. You just can't pass these deals up. But I'm going to start. It's really getting out of hand. My house will look like a toy shop if I don't.
I complained about "having" to read to my kid the other day. Yes, you read right. I should be shot. LGs favorite thing to do is sit on your lap while you read him a story. You would think I would be thanking what ever god caused this magic, right? Except we read the same 5 books over and over and over and over. I don't even need to see the pages anymore. I know all the words. We have probably at least 50 books in his box that he can choose from. And he picks the same 5. I've resorted to hiding some of them (because really, how many times can you read about Biscuit the puppy going trick or treating in November?) And yes, I've done all I can with them. "LG, where's the kitty on this page?" "LG, what shape is the witch's hat?" "LG, say tractor." Please kid, pick up a block or something. You're driving Mommy to drink.
PB is making me feel a little guilty. About a month ago, he put his road bike up on the trainer in the basement and he's been riding at night. He puts o in his swing, uploads one of his lectures for his class and rides for an hour. As a result, he's lost 5 pounds and he's getting a good education while watching the kid. And I say, good for him. Notice I don't say, let me get my street bike up on my trainer and join you! Nope, I put on an episode of West Wing and sit on the couch upstairs, frequently with a dessert of some sort. I shall continue to use the "I just had a kid" excuse to justify my extra pudge. And when o sleeps through the night, I'll consider doing something about the guilt.
Did anyone shop of Thanksgiving? If so, a pox on you. Retail stores are only closed 2 days a year. Thanksgiving and Christmas. Those folks get 2 days that they are guaranteed they can spend with their family. Now they're down to one. And that sucks. Because even if the college kid behind the counter doesn't mind the double time to work and get away from his family? The manager in the back wishes he was home sitting on his couch watching the game. Or eating pie with her family. And really, retailers don't need to empty our pockets 264 days a year. They can settle for 263.
Ok, off to hum Christmas carols and annoy the neighbors in cubeville. I love my job. Have a good week, all.
ps- Mentos really are the freshmaker.

10 comments:

Mrsbear said...

I'm with you on stores closing Thanksgiving. I've worked retail, it sucks to ring people's crap up when what you really want to do is be home stuffing your face.

My kids do that thing too, where they want the same book read over and over again. It gets hard to overlook the monotony when there are so many other good stories untouched on the shelf. :)

Happy Tuesday! Flaunt your pencil.

VandyJ said...

I too have memorized books from reading them so much. And certain books have been "misplaced" to avoid reading them. We are just about to start the Goodnight Moon phase again with Bruiser, our youngest. Turbo can almost read himself so that helps, we get to read more interesting things to him.

Erin@TheLocalsLoveIt said...

I SO miss the West Wing!!!

I have an award for you today. Don't worry if you can't pass it on. ;)

I am Harriet said...

No kidding about the pencil thing...
Have a great RTT!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/12/do-you-clean-or-replace-filters-on.html

gretchen said...

I'm sorry. I got to that part about being FINISHED with your Christmas shopping, and was so stunned I sort of missed the rest of the post. I am SO jealous. I haven't even STARTED. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around one holiday until the first one is over. AArrggh.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Oh, lord, I remember the days of reading about sharks and dinosaurs Over and Over...
And my goodness, how can you even think about exercising with a new baby and working and your other baby, and interrupted sleep! I'm exhausted just writing about it.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Heh heh, I do my Sudoku puzzles in pen, I'm such a rebel.
By the way, I hear shetland ponies are on sale right now.. :-)

Jan said...

Shop ON Thanksgiving? Are people insane? How do they find the TIME? Okay, yes, I know not everyone cooks like a banshee that day, but still...

There was a time if I'd had to read "Green Eggs and Ham" or "It's a Great Day for UP!" one more time, I'd have puked all over the books. Yup, I remember those days well.

You made me laugh at the Mentos comment.

Frogs in my formula said...

Are you really done Christmas shopping? You are my HERO. And I hear you about reading the same books over and over. If I read The Little Engine that Could one more time I am going to freak.

Captain Dumbass said...

Ugh, the rereading of the same books. At least they're enjoying it though.