Thursday, November 12, 2009

Traveling Thursday: Green Lakes State Park

Hmmm, this feels weird. I'm posting on Thursday. But I was over visiting Pseudo, and it's Traveling Thursday over there. As I was looking at some beautiful pictures of Hawaii (are there ugly ones?), a thought occurred to me. When you think of beautiful places, my home state does not come to mind. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and had the privilege to live. However, the beautiful countryside is overshadowed by a culturally diverse, hopping city. Yup, nobody ever thinks of the mountains or the lakes when you say New York. They think of the big apple in the south (and, ironically, not why they call it the big apple...)

Anyway, I want to share my favorite NY State Park with you guys. Just a little sample of the wonders of upstate NY.



I'm not sure what you call this purple stuff, but it is all over the park. It doesn't really have a smell, but in late July it is this beautiful purple.
Like most of the state parks in NY, there are tons of walking paths that bring you out into the woods. Most are just dirt paths through trees. This one has a fence to keep the peoples from slipping down into nothingness to the lake.

Because the lake formed above an underground glacier, the water is this amazing color green. Not brown and muddy, not green with algae. Think Coke bottle green. Almost as though it were the ocean in New England. It's also cold as the Artic, though.

When PB and I were last at Green Lakes we took a short hike after dinner. Above my head I heard a clicking noise, only to look up and see two large owls about 7 feet away. Do you have any idea how big owls are? HUGE! Seriously, the one clicking looked like he was contemplating me for dinner. I would love to say something about how you should visit a state park in NY the next time you're over this way. I'm not naive enough to think people will, though. Because, let's face it, if you come all the way to NY, you're going to the city. For a show, or food. Or just to see the craziness that is NYC. And I don't blame you. Hopefully, though, I've shown you the other side to NY. The side the grows apples, and has some of the best skiing mountains around. The side that makes up 85% of the land of NY and less than half the population. My NY.



8 comments:

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I love New York State! We grew up going to the Catskills and Adirondacks and Lake George...all so beautiful! NYC and NYState were 2 completely different places in my mind. The Ex grew up in Woodstock, so we still go there every couple of years. I love it there too.
And my kids cousins are in Rochester; now that's a little up there....still gorgeous tho.

only a movie said...

This is so true. People don't know about the rural parts of NY. I grew up in Orange County and spent tons of time in all of places Maureen mentioned.
I also lived right outside of Rochester for a year in the 90s and love that area as well! We're thinking of doing a driving/hiking trip to Niagra Falls next summer.
Great photos!

Jan said...

I've been to NYC twice, and while I loved it, I was fascinated by what I saw of New York as we drove up to Niagara Falls. Which, admittedly, wasn't a lot coming from northeast Ohio, but what stands out most in my memory were the vineyards. Miles and miles of beautiful vineyards. I'd had no idea that New York had a wine industry.

After reading this, I'd love to see more of the state.

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

You've got me convinced. As much fun as the city was the one time I got to go to New York, I'd love to see upstate. While there, I hope to visit Maine and Vermont. Because Movie and Starlife post beautiful photos of those places too.

Maybe when my kids are out of college I can actually use my teacher's summer for some real travel.

Thanks for linking and taking me off the island.

Michele said...

The only place I've been in the state of NY is upstate and the Finger Lakes area and that's okay by me. It is a truly lovely state.

Erin said...

I've been to Rochester and loved it. those photos are just lovely.

babYpose said...

Hi there, thanks for thanking me to NY from here, very green, not just concrete city. Beautiful.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I live on the border of PA and NY and the state parks are beautiful. These photos are awesome.

I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. I rearranged my reader and I really screwed things up. I have had to add some people who somehow got bumped when I tried to make it easier to keep up with them. Ironic, no?

Anyhow, that first photo is my favorite. Boootiful!