Friday, November 6, 2009

Spin Cycle- I hate to admitt it...

This weeks spin is supposed to be the hidden thing you don't talk about that you hate about being a parent. But you'll have to go see Sprite's Keeper and the other spinners to hear about it. It would be a really bad thing for me to start down that track right now. Not enough sleep. Too many sticky finger prints all over my house. I'm like the Pandora's box for parenting angst at the moment.

I did take o for his first afternoon of daycare today, though. That being so, right now I'm alone. All alone. I ate lunch. Nobody was on my lap. I drank hot tea without worrying about who it might spill on. The TV has the volume on and the captions off. And about every 3 minutes I remember that he's with someone besides me or PB and I want to go get him. For as much as he's a needy 2 months old, he's also cute and cuddly. And he won't be that way forever. Sniff. I'm a wimp.

LG made my night last night, though. Lately, he's only wanted PB at night. If he wakes up and needs attention, only Papa will do. Which isn't fair because he only cuddles at night. But last night was different. I had a dinner event to go to. So the boys were on their own. PB gave everyone a bath, and went through the whole bedtime routine. Apparently, LG kept saying, "Kiss Mama. Kiss Mama." Awww. PB ended up leaving him in his crib wide awake. Which is where I found him 20 minutes later when I got home. And I got an hour of snuggles that made up for all the ones I've missed recently. Woo hoo.

Oh, but I guess I do have one thing I hate about being a parent. Professional relations who refer to me as "Mom". Yeah. Not so much. Last night was a business event. I didn't have to go, but I did to keep my fingers in the proverbial pie. And almost everyone I saw called me "Mommy". Now, technically I'm not back from leave yet, so this is the first time they've seen me since o was born. I would agree that congratulations are in order. But to call me "Mommy" in front of other professionals? Grrrr.

Ok, enough for today. I have a refrigerator to clean and a car to empty of child shrapnel. And then maybe some shoe shopping, who knows. I say it again, one day a mom who's kids are in school is going to take over the world. Right after she gets a pedicure.

6 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

I wish Sprite was a nicer cuddler. She's just not. If she wants to sit beside you, she has to sit half ON YOU. After a while of dealing with it, I finally mention the long stretch of couch on her other side and "Would you like to lay down while watching your cartoon?"
You're linked!

Sprite's Keeper said...

I wish Sprite was a nicer cuddler. She's just not. If she wants to sit beside you, she has to sit half ON YOU. After a while of dealing with it, I finally mention the long stretch of couch on her other side and "Would you like to lay down while watching your cartoon?"
You're linked!

Jan said...

My step daughter is here with her son and she, too, is facing the "But I don't want to go back to work!" dilemma.

I had to laugh at the term "child shrapnel" - it's so apt!

Erin@TheLocalsLoveIt said...

I have a super cuddler and I love it. Sometimes I think he would crawl back into my tummy if he could.

Loved your post. Going back to work sucks in general. But I really think people just don't know what to say sometimes so they say something stupid. They probabaly thought they were being cute. But I get it. Hope you score some awesome shoes.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Aw, enjoy those cuddles; their sweet memory will see you thru many an adolescent mood one day.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Princess Nagger is a cuddler - I think my hubby gets a little miffed that she prefers to cuddle with me. I tell him it's just because I'm way more soft and squishy. ;)

Great Spin! :)