Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Random Tuesday Thoughts- I'm baaaack...


Yes, people, it is Tuesday. The day when our thoughts turn to all things random. And we visit with the Un-Mom (who unlike your real Mom will not mention the state of your house, or how well your sister is doing). Read on, and then click on the nice picture above to get on with the visit (and bring some coffee and donuts for your visit. I hear she likes that). Oh, yeah. I'm back at work, so I can make the links work again. Woo hoo.
Firstly, is anyone else experiencing the great waffle shortage of 2009? LG is a big waffle fan. Specifically, he likes the mini waffles. But every time I go to the market to buy them, they are out. For weeks now, they have been out. There is a sign on the freezer case saying that the Kellogg's people are having some Eggo issues, but they are working to clear up the problem. Really? A waffle shortage? This is absurd. Fix the problem people. My kid is getting bored of french toast sticks!
Have you ever noticed that the things your kid likes most are the ones that annoy the living hell out of you? For instance, that song that Rosie O'Donell and Elmo sing together? Makes me cringe, but makes LG dance with glee. Grrrr.
Speaking of Elmo, Happy 40th to Sesame Street. Sesame Street was first broadcast the year before my brother was born (sorry Uncle F, didn't mean to give away your age...). Which really makes us first generation viewers. Back in the day when there was no Elmo, and Mr. Hooper still ran the store. Many a good hour was spent learning to count with the Count, and doing "the pigeon". Props to them for making it 40 years on TV. And still one of the most popular shows out there.
What the hell has happened to our national psyche? I can remember not ten years ago, when people realized they were a few pounds overweight, they joined Weight Watchers, cut back on the Twinkies and Yahoo and sighed about it. They realized that the problem was them. We all felt sorry for them, and didn't eat our cookies in front of them.
Now? Not so much. Obesity is an "epidemic" now. Which really makes it sound like a disease. Something you couldn't avoid with a little excersize and fewer McDonald's visits. Don't beat me, I realize for some folks it is caused by a real life medical condition. But let's be honest, those people are few and far between. And stop calling your overweight condition hereditary. Your propensity to gain weight might come from your Mom's side, but your Aunt Sally isn't stuffing cream puffs down your throat. Stop blaming ad campaigns, too. It's not Krispy Kreme's fault that their de-lish donuts have gone from a Friday morning office treat to an everyday habit for you.
I think the heart of it lies in the same place that the debt problem does- our mis-conception that we can and should have it all. All the designer clothes we want. All the cheese burgers we want. We shouldn't need to deny ourselves. Nothing is a "treat" anymore. I didn't grow up this way. Most of us didn't. But I'm a little worried my kids will. In recent months, I have had to resist buying LG everything I saw that I thought he would like. When I do buy something, I've tried to put it away for Christmas or his birthday. It is hard, though. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?
Ahhh, I told Maureen from Island Roar that I would tell a story today and totally forgot. Uhm, next Tuesday. I promise.
Ok, folks, back to work for me. Have a good week, and we'll see you next Tuesday for more Random.

11 comments:

Jan said...

Thank you. You've just given me my Spin Cycle topic for the week.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Uh oh.
:-)

The Crazy Coxes said...

Laughing and loving you random!

Sorry about the Eggo crisis, somehow that one excaped me! ;)

Now the obesity crisis/idiot sydrome, I have noticed! Why take responsibility for anything when it is clear that there is someone else who should take the blame!

Happy Tuesday!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

I feel for you on the waffle shortage - Princess Nagger loves the mini pancakes and if I forget to buy them (or they're out) she pouts.

I love that you've given Jan her Spin Cycle topic and made Jen nervous! ;)

Happy RTT! :)

otin said...

I wish that I was Phat! and not Fat! hahaha!

Mrsbear said...

I didn't know there was a waffle shortage, but come to think of it, the past four or five grocery store visits I've come away without waffles. I thought it was just our store. Weird.

I remember watching Sesame Street back when Mr. Snuffleupagus was considered a figment of Big Bird's imagination. 40 years. Wow.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

My kids used to love those little waffles; I had no idea of this horrific crisis! For LG's sake, I hope it passes shortly.
Okay, now I have to wait for Jan's Spin AND your story....the suspense is killing me!

Anonymous said...

I'm actually older than Sesame Street Wow!

class-factotum said...

If you come to my house, I will make you waffles with one of the two waffle irons in my basement. :)

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

Loved the last rant. I remember when people reused their aluminum foil over and over... When Americans were satisfied with what they need and did not feel entittle dto have every extravagant thing they wanted.

Erin@TheLocalsLoveIt said...

I love that you call it a "market".

Give a whole new meaning to the term "Letgo my Eggo!"

I can see the pandemonium now.