Friday, October 30, 2009

The world keeps on Spinning...

Happy Halloween! This weeks Spin Cycle is about Halloween. No specifics, just Halloween. Here goes:
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. Why? Because it gives people an opportunity to do fun stuff. Bring cookies to work, have a party, do something special with your kids. No, we shouldn't "need" an excuse to do those things, but we do. And I like all those things. The cookies, the parties and the fun stuffs. I like seeing how creative people can be, and trying to think of new things to be. Until this year, I decorated the house and all. Woo hoo!

I really like the holidays now that LG is getting older. Here is last year's picture:

I love this picture. He was so happy to put on his costume and crawl around the room. We didn't go out and trick or treat, but he wore it to his parade at school. My little giraffe.

Now this year:




Not the greatest picture (and sideways, to boot), but he still likes getting into the costume. This year, he's a lion. And he roared and stalked around. He even wanted me to put his hands into the mitten paws (yeah, I was amazed, too). Fun stuff. He's excited to go trick or treating. We'll probably only go to a few houses, but it will be fun. o is going to be a penguin.

I think, more than anything, I like what Halloween symbolizes. Maybe it comes from working retail for so many years, but to me Halloween is the beginning of the "holiday" season. I don't mean just Christmas and New Years, but the whole year end holiday season. From here out, we only have a few weeks between big holidays. Days off from work and school, eating too many treats, going to parties. I just love this time of year. I like all of these holidays. I like baking, and shopping, treats, getting dressed up in clothes you wouldn't wear any other time of the year. The stuff most people hate? Yeah, I love all of that.

One weird question about Halloween, though. How old is too old to trick or treat? When do you go from being happily received at the open doors to skulking around corners with shaving cream and tp? When I was a kid it was 12. Once you were a teenager, you were done. But the last time we had trick or treaters, there were high school kids coming to the door. With real costumes on. Uhm, to me that says get an after school job and go buy your own darn candy. What do you think?

Ok, I'm done. Go see Sprite's Keeper and see all the other spooky posts.

5 comments:

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

He is so cute!
Out here, kids do Trick or Treat thru HS. Mine did. In everything else we complain they're growing up too quickly, so I say let them do it. As long as they're polite and make half an effort to actually have a costume, let them enjoy the night. Better than getting in trouble.
Have fun today!

Jan said...

He's adorable! I want to see a pic of o as a penguin.

I'm with Maureen on this one. My sons decided they were done at 13, but it wasn't anything I imposed on them; they just decided they were too old. My daughter went trick-or-treating until she was a senior in high school, but she ALWAYS dressed up and went with a group of friends, many of whom often took their younger siblings with them, including Darling Daughter (I guess they figured that gave them a legitimate excuse).

I don't mind high school aged kids as long as they are polite and make an attempt at a costume. It's the ones that come out in their street clothes and just stick a sack out in front of you that irritate me - and I'll tell them that, too.

blueviolet said...

He is so stinkin' cute!!!

I feel the same way about the older kids. I made that clear in my post, lol.

Happy Halloween!

Sprite's Keeper said...

Just under the wire!
This is what I get for spending the entire holiday out of the house!
I love LG's costumes!
I trick or treated until I was 16, mostly because I didn't get to START until I was around 9 or 10. So, when your thoughts stop centering around how much candy you can score and start targeting who you can scare, you're done. :-)
You're linked and it's staying up all weekend!

Mrsbear said...

You are never too old for trick or treating. ;) We saw a lot of teenagers out this year too. I don't mind if they're wearing their costumes, but when they show up in their jeans and tee-shirts, holding out an empty grocery bag, that's when I start to get irritated. Hope you had a great Halloween.