Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Random Tuesday Thoughts- RIP John Hughes



Because apparently my living room poses threats to the eyes...

Yes, yes, I know it's Tuesday. Get off my back, it was a long weekend, alright? Go see Keely at the UnMom while I gather my thoughts. Oh, krappe, she's on vacation. Well, go see whoever is subbing for her and whatever they managed to get together this week. http://www.theunmom.com/

Ok, I have a semblance of thought now.

RIP John Hughes. In my humble opinion, the movies of the 80's are what really sets the Gen Xers apart. Now, other generations had their movies, but none so represented a generation as the 80's did the Gen Xers. Top Gun inspired leather jackets and Flashdance had it's leg warmer trend. Molly Ringwald spoke to us all, with her angst and her problems at 16. We followed the Brat Pack, and made Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, Rob Lowe and Judd Nelson stars. And much of it was thanks to John Hughes.
In case you, like many of the people I've seen this weekend, have no idea what John Hughes directed, I'll give you a small run down:

Pretty in Pink ("May I admire you again today?")

Sixteen Candles ("I can't believe I gave my panties to a geek.")

The Breakfast Club ("You know how you said before, how your parents use you to get back at each other? Wouldn't I be outstanding in that capacity? ")

Weird Science ("Well, my nuts are halfway up my ass, but other than that, I'm perfect! ")

Ferris Bueller's Day Off ("Bueller, Bueller?")


Uncle Buck ("Take this quarter, go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face! Good day to you, madam. ")

Planes, Trains and Automobiles ("Those aren't pillows!")

There's more, I'm just tired of typing. But you get the point, I'm sure. The man was a genius at representing all that was "different" about 80's Gen X. We aren't prim and proper like the Boomers, but don't let it all hang out there quite like the Woodstock Gen Xers. We're lost somewhere in between.

And our movies and our music were our calling cards. It's not the end of an era, though Michael and John are gone. We still have Madonna, and Kenny Loggins. And we have our memories. We'll always have scrunchies, and MC Hammer pants. And I still want my MTV.

So, go find yourself a Tab, sit back and remember John Hughes. Watch this video:


And picture LG shaking his booty to the Beatles ala Ferris.


Have a good week all.




14 comments:

blueviolet said...

I loved the Brat Pack then and still do. It was just a part of my growing up years. I don't particularly care for all of them now but I just remember the way it was.

Jan said...

Ah, the memories. You know you're brilliant when your movies are funny 25 years later.

Cheeky Monkey said...

I know it's sad about John Hughes! I was over a Napwardens blog, which led me to another blog of a girl who was pen pals with him. What an amazing guy!.

Love the pic with the goggle! You might need them if you ever saw our laundry pile..lol

Sarah said...

oh lord - I think I watched all of those movies until my eyes bled. LOVE THEM!!! happy RTT

heedpantsnow said...

Thank you for remembering! I totally spaced John Hughes' death. He's the mascot for those of us who grew up in the 80s. So far, no one else has made any teen movies worthy of watching once let alone years and years in the future.
John Hughes rocked it!

thedailysnark said...

I love everything John Hughes did. I broke out my "16 Candles" t-shirt this weekend and wore it proudly. It was great that people came up to me and commented, telling me how much his movies meant to them. He really did define our generation.

Captain Dumbass said...

How I loved Molly Ringwold.

The Crazy Coxes said...

I had no idea who John Hughes was, but then I read the list of my favorite 80's movies!!! Those were the best!!!

Mama Badger said...

You crazy kids and your memories. You make me want to pop some Jiffy Pop and invite you all over for a sleep over and some movies.

I am Harriet said...

Losing Hughes is a real bummer...thank goodness for cable.
Have a Wonderful Tuesday!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/08/random-hollywood-gossip.html

Casey said...

John Hughes did put out some stellar movies. I'm "officially" representing Keely today...consider her represented.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I am going to watch Weird Science again just because. Awesome.

Mrsbear said...

Hell yes. I loved John Hughes movies. Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, NL's Vacation are all movies I could watch on an endless loop. Sigh. Today's teen movies just don't measure up.

Mrsbear said...

Hell yes. I loved John Hughes movies. Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, NL's Vacation are all movies I could watch on an endless loop. Sigh. Today's teen movies just don't measure up.