Thursday, July 2, 2009

Spin Cycle- Kids

This weeks spin cycle is about kids. Take a trip to Sprite's Keeper if you want to see some more: http://www.spriteskeeper.com/my_weblog/the-spin-cycle/



Little Guy, Little Bear, Chomps McGee, Admiral Fussypants (a promotion from captain, after a long night), Turkey, littliest badger. All things I call my first born. All lovingly, of course.

I would like to take this opportunity to say, "I am his Mom. I will always worry about him (even though I know that 99.9% of the time it is unfounded). And he will always be my baby." Now, get off my back.
I will fuss if I don't think he eats enough, and I will make sure his clothes, diaper and face are clean when we go somewhere "important". Nothing, and no one, will be good enough for him. I will never think he is as safe or happy with you as he is with me.

He is an angel, and when he does something wrong, it must be excusable. You just don't know him.

He is the smartest kid I know, and one day will take on the world. No matter what he does.

And I shall now say that most of this is all in my head. My inner Momalogue. Where it will, and should, stay.

In reality, I know I frequently take him out in dirty shirts (otherwise I'd have to buy stock in laundry soap). When he does something wrong, I will apologize to you, and your child, and make him aware of his wrong doing.

He probably won't take over the world, and I will be happy if he just makes himself happy. I am hoping we teach him to be satisfied with what he can achieve (and not always want for unreasonable things).

He is not the smartest kid I know, in fact , he's pretty average. He can climb on my cabinets and throw and kick a ball, but doesn't have two words yet.

He is certainly no angel (though the face says otherwise).

On the outside, I hope people think I'm a pretty laid back Mom. I do my best, and he is who he is. I do, however, understand where the "not my kid" moms come from. They just haven't learned to keep that as their "inner mom".

How about you? If you have kids, do you have an inner "momalogue"?

Top 10 things I've learned from my child:

10. Nobody knows my kid better than me. And I get the final say. No doctor, teacher or relative should take precedence over what I think is right or wrong. (in the end, I'm responsible for him, and his health and happiness)
9. Nap when the baby naps. Let the dishes, the laundry, and the e-mail wait. A tired Mommy mixed with an rested toddler is a recipe for disaster.

8. Listen to everyone's advice when it's offered. Even if it seems crazy. You never know, when at 2:am and the baby is crying, your husband will say "My secretary, Lola, said she... on her kids and that worked." And lo and behold, it works on yours, too.

7. There is such a thing as "Mommy Magic". And "Daddy Magic", too. I don't know how it works yet, but there are times when just having Mom or Dad makes it all better. Don't question it.

6. Take help when it's offered. You will be glad for the extra time and energy that little hand gave you. And you will be more than willing to repay the favor later.

5. There are far worse things than letting people see your house when it's messy. I am now over it.

4. My patience is not endless. Not even close. My love for my kid, however, is. And that's more important.

3. Never say never. The minute you do, it will come back to bite you. (I'll never let my kid use a binki? Ha, ha, ha, ha.

2. Nothing is worse than formula barf. Nothing. It smells horrible and sticks to clothes (how? the government should use it as a biological weapon!!!). It will find all small crevices and lodge there, forever causing an awful smell.

1. Two little arms around your neck and a sleepy head on your shoulder make up for all amounts of fussing, crying, and bad behavior imaginable. A little snuggle goes a long way.

That's all for this week. Go hug your kid, and say a quick prayer (to the entity of your choice) for all the little ones who are in need this week. The sick ones, the scared ones, the hungry ones.

ps- And I would like to mention our friend in RI, Georgia, who is 5 years old and after 3 grueling years of cancer treatment, has had her final treatment and is in re-mission. You go, Miss Georgia.

5 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Great tips! Especially the binky one. I fought the pacifier, but it was a life saver in the first year. We ditched it when she was about 14 months when we discovered the day care took it away from her when we dropped her off anyway and she was fine without it.
And yes, my child is definitely no angel and I kind of revel in her mischief sometimes... :-)
You're linked!

Maureen at IslandRoar said...

Those are pretty darned golden words of wisdom. Nice post!

gigidiaz said...

I'm printing this out and saving it for if I ever decide I want kids!

Great spin.
I spun too!

gigidiaz said...

Thank you so much for coming by. I agree with you 100% that parenting is a big part of the way children behave and grow up. And I also agree that there is far too much input for young kids these days. They are being exposed to too much through the media (even on children's channels sometimes) for which their little minds are not ready (sexuality, drugs, etc)

Evenspor said...

I love it. Especially the inner momologue vs. reality.