Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Random Tuesday Thoughts- Movin' On Up...

Welcome back to Tuesday, where I throw out my random thoughts for the day for you to ruminate on. And then you can go visit Keely here: http://www.theunmom.com/2009/07/universe-just-shifted-everything-into.html She'll tell you all about memory foam and the Toddler Relocation Program (how's that for a hook?)

And to start the random, we'll explain the title... LG is transitioning up to the next room at school. From a "Lady bug" to a "Sweet Pea" (or an infant to a toddler, for those who don't use the garden comparison). In some ways this is very good for us. He'll finally be in a room that is centered around the things he can do (walk, feed himself, drink with sippy, nap once a day) instead of a room that was just trying to keep him from killing the babies. The next room is from 18 mo to 24 mo, so all the kids will be of about the same ability, instead of the wide variety of the infant room. All good for him. I'm sure he'll have a great time. His first day went well (he spent about 2 hours there). But it does make me sad. He is officially not a baby anymore. He's a little boy. Not that this was the only clue, but this was the last vestige, I think. Sigh.

But who wants to think about that? Instead I bring you my commute quandary. On my way into work, there is a potentially homeless man that sits right at the end of the exit ramp. Just from looking at him, I think he might have some special needs (remember the black guy from "Green Mile"? He looks just like him.) Anyhow, I'm not sure why he sits there. Once or twice I've seen people offer him money, but he always flags them off. He never holds a sign or anything. On sunny days he wears a hat, and a raincoat in the rain. He usually is holding a cup of coffee. Someone obviously helps him out. Weird, huh? Now, to add to that, on my commute home there is a young fellow in a wheel chair who sits on the corner sidewalk just before the on-ramp. He clearly has special needs, but again, isn't asking for money. He's only there on nice days (it's a powered wheel chair, you wouldn't want that to get ruined in the rain, I don't think). Again, though, why? The second guy obviously gets some help even getting to his location. The first guy could possibly get there himself (but the coffee and his attire lead me to believe he's getting assistance, too). But where are they from? And why sit next to the highway ramps? Does someone bring them there? Do they have homes? All things I spend my commute wondering. Great, huh?

Let's talk about Ohio being in the mid-west for a second. Because it bothers me to no end. If you take a look at a map (which I tried to upload for you, but I'm having troubles), you will notice that there is a "line" almost down the middle of the country. Between say North Dakota/Minnesota and running down between Texas and Louisiana. Now look at where Ohio is on the map. Clearly on the Eastern side of that line. Not in the West at all, never mind the middle of the west... You might even observe that Ohio is in the middle of the Eastern portion of the US. So, why the hell do people here think they are Mid-westerners??? Do they not teach geography in this state? Or are they so desperate for an identity that the cling to who ever might accept them (at which point, you understand, the Mid-Westerners were too polite to say no)? It kills me. Want to call your self the heartland? Go ahead, Ohio is approx. where the heart would go in the country. But Mid-West? Nope, not accepting it.

Onward, as if I focus on that too much, I might have to move back to NY...

LG's latest trick is to give kisses. Not to just anyone, only his special girls (me, Miss M, Miss N, you know, the pretty girls) and on occasion PB. And it's really cute. Except he hasn't really learned to keep his mouth shut, so you sort of get licked instead of kissed. It's still cute, though. I'll take what I can get. His other new habit is to run around the living room full speed and then come crashing into your lap. That's fun, too. Yeah. Fun.

Anyhow, that's about all I have for today, I think. Not too much going on over here. And that's not a bad thing... I will leave you with the lyrics to the latest Kenny Chesney/Dave Matthews song, since they seem to have a lot of meaning these days:

(Chesney)
So damn easy to say that life's so hard
Everybody's got their share of battle scars
As for me, I'd like to thank my lucky stars that I'm alive and well...
It'd be easy to add up all the pain
And all the dreams you sat and watched go up in flames
Dwell on the wreckage as it smolders in the rain
But not me...I'm alive
And today you know that's good enough for me
Breathin' in and out's a blessing can't you see
Today's the first day of the rest of my life and I'm alive
And well...I'm alive and well
(Dave Matthews)
The stars are dancin' on the water here tonight
It's gonna fall a soul when there's not a soul in sight
This boat has caught its wind and brought me back to life
now I'm alive and well

8 comments:

Krystal said...

They grow up so fast huh? And as for those lickingwetkisses - those are the best!

Love your randomness!!!

Ashlee said...

Aww, I like the "sweet pea" but not that he's growing up! Why do they grow up so fast? All of 'em!! Breaks my heart!!!

Jan said...

Ohio is the Midwest because it is too %&@$ing provincial to be the northeast.

And this Texas transplant means that in the nicest possible way. :P

As for the question of teaching geography in Ohio, don't get me started on the bizarre and bewildering schools systems here.

Just. Don't.

♥georgie♥ said...

Oh they do grow up very fast...trust me! LOL

I loved your RTT

only a movie said...

LOL @ Jan.
They grow up way too fast.

shopannies said...

I love the thought of a lady bug to a sweet pea but you know what a princess grows up to be and that is a queen and there is no way that she is that yet LOL

Keely said...

I love the slobbery toddler kisses! X does those too.

I'd spend my whole commute wondering about those, too. On my (whole 5 minutes) drive to work there's a woman who's picketing a government building, with a sign, just her, rain or shine, for probably the last 5 years. I have no idea what her story is.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I still don't understand why us Floridians aren't called Southerners even though you can't get much more Southern geographically. I know it's due to the Civil War, but come on, people!
Did you ever wonder if the people sitting at exit ramps and declining money are there to watch life? Sometimes, I like to stop in a coffee shop, get a cup, and just sit and watch life.