Thursday, June 25, 2009

A spin on jealosy!

So, this weeks spin cycle topic is... Jealousy. To read about more green eyes, head over to Sprite's Keeper and check out the other spinners: http://www.spriteskeeper.com/my_weblog/2009/06/spin-cycle-its-not-easy-seeing-green.html

When I read this weeks topic, that song by the Gin Blossoms "Hey Jealousy" immediately popped into my head. Except, have you ever read the lyrics? I don't get what it has to do with jealousy. If you do, please, explain. To me, it has as much to do with Jealousy and the Alannis Morissette song has to do with things that are Ironic (I mean, those things suck, but there not ironic in any way...)

So there went the start to my post. Dad gum it. But it did get me thinking about recent bouts of jealousy.

I try not to be jealous of other folks. I do the best I can, and it's pretty darn good for me. I don't want for much, and lead a pretty happy life. Right? But when I gave it some long though, yeah, I do get jealous.

My recent jealously has been of PB. Because he is a night person, and I am not, he gets the prime bath and snuggle times. Now, I can do both of these, but I am not a night person. So, bath time just isn't the same with me. By bath time I'm exhausted, so it's all I can do to sit in the bathroom and watch them splash around and have fun. On occasion, I do take the night time snuggle opportunity, but as my lap quickly disappears, LG is less likely to fall asleep in my arms, so I surrender him to PB for the final snuggle. I used to get most of the snuggles. When there were bottles involved, PB pinch hit but I was the regular player. As LG gets older, and his needs change, I've had to make sure we change up our routine so that I can still get in some quality time with him. But I still feel like PB gets the fun times, and I get the "work" times. Oh, well. Sigh.

On another jealousy front, LG has finally taken a stand that we are his MB and PB. When my work routine was more flexible, I would frequently show up at school a little early and sit on the floor with the kids. LG might come over and say hi, but was just as likely to just keep up whatever he was doing. The other little ones would come over for a hug, or to sit in my lap, and LG didn't seem to mind, or even care. Recently, though, he has changed his mind. If I let another little one sit in my lap, he will be right there to assert his "my mama" shove of the other poor little kid. I picked up my niece on Sunday, and suddenly had someone tugging on my skirt to be picked up, too. He used to be much better at sharing his things, also. Now he's taken to performing the "boneless ninja" move (as PB calls it) by flopping to the floor if anyone takes something away from him. I guess it's all a part of growing up and realizing how the world works. And, usually, it's fun to watch.

Does other people's jealousy every make you feel guilty? At school, there's a Dad who just loves LG. His daughter is a traditional cupie doll baby. She cooed and was cute as a button, but not much of a mover or shaker like LG. Not even a sassy girlie girl, like our girlfriend, Miss M. So, when this dad sees LG he gets all excited and goes over to play with him. I think it's partially because he'd really like a boy (he's actually about to have another little girl). And sometimes it makes me feel bad. You can just tell this guy would love to take LG home with him, even for just a night. Roll the ball around, and build some blocks. It's cute to watch, but heartbreaking at the same time. And yes, PB knows how lucky he is to have gotten his LG.

Enough about jealousy. Go covet someone else's blog.

3 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

So funny! Sprite does the same thing whenever someone tries to crawl into my lap. We call the boneless ninja "boneless buffalo legs" since it most often happens when she's mid-tantrum and we're trying to put her down and end up doing bicep curls.
I wonder how she'll be as an older sister when the next kid journey begins, but also fear it slightly since she's not so great about sharing at school. You're linked!

Maureen at IslandRoar said...

Sure, they may not want us, but they don't want anyone else too either. I used to get a little jealous of how happy my boy was to see my (then) husband when he got home. I mean, he'd been with me all day and now I was chopped liver.
I think I got over it.

Rikki said...

I ended up being jealous of your virtual pet (lol) and went to get my own (I named it jealousy).

I used to feel the same way about the 'fun daddy,' but now when he gets home I go have some quiet alone time. It takes the sting out :o)