Friday, June 12, 2009

The Spin Cycle...

Memories,Like the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were
Scattered pictures,
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we? could we?
Memories, may be beautiful and yet
Whats too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget
So its the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...


Ok, come on, people. It's not possible that I am the only one that had Babs running through my head when I heard that this weeks spin topic is Memories. Or am I really the only person who's life has an internal soundtrack that includes 70 lounge acts?

However, I had no idea what I would write. Until I actually read the lyrics. And really remembered the song. Then all sorts of memories from my childhood came rushing back. My Mom loved Barbara Streisand (and Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow, for that matter).

We used to have one of those HUGE console TVs. The ones where you had to get up to change the channel, and it was really more furniture than TV? Yeah, one of those. And on top sat the record player. Like a shrine to music. With it's little holder for the yellow things you had to put into the center of 45s so that they didn't move all around. And speakers that were bigger than me. And a little red thing made of that red lint material so that you could dust the records before you played them. And we were not allowed to touch it. Ever. Because we might damage one of my parents records. And that was a sin worse than most others.

I can remember that the player would hold up to 10 albums. And my Mom (or Dad, depending on who was around) would stack up 10 and let them play. Mom would stack Barry, and Neil and Barbara, throw in a little Kenny and Dolly. And if a relative was over, she'd throw in some of the Italian music (am I the only one who realizes that Lou Monte sings more than just Dominic the Donkey?) It was great. She'd dance around the kitchen with who ever she could grab, singing along and humming when she didn't know the words. And we'd laugh and dance. On days when my Dad wasn't around, she'd sneak in a little Jackson 5, or Debbie Harry (my dad didn't like that kind of music...) There was always music when my Mom was around.

On Sundays, though, my Dad was in charge. He'd load up the player with Sousa marches, and opera, with some Neil Sedaka and Beach Boys thrown in (I know, random, right?). Just as much fun, but different. He didn't dance around. He did sing along, though. He'd play it loud enough that he could here it while he did work around the house. Have you ever heard a Sousa march at top volume? Whew, it'll rattle the ears off your head.

As a result, I know all the words to the most random songs you can imagine. And it didn't stop with the LPs. Once I was old enough, I bought a tape play and introduced my Mom to Madonna. Hmmm, that went over so so, at best. She liked the music, but didn't like the outfits. My brother listens to all sorts of stuff. He loves Rush, and was into Kiss when they were big. He got a CD player in high school. I can remember that his first CD was Lita Ford. She was a hottie.

Now, we subject LG to all sorts of stuff. PB likes music, but his taste... is lacking. So, it's all up to me to make sure LG knows about the Beatles, and the Neils (Sedaka and Diamond). We listen to the Beastie Boys (I know, I suck as a parent. I'm not a great sensor. But you should see him groove to Brass Monkey!) And on Sunday mornings, LG and I get ready for the world to some good old Sousa marches.

I'm sad he'll never know what a record feels like. Cover art will mean something completely different to his generation. He'll never take the sleeve out of the album cover to read the words. But I'm happy that the music lives on at our house.

Here's hoping that you all have some great memories of the way things were. And that you're busy making memories of the way they are now, for your family and friends. The best feeling in the world is when someone breaks into a big grin and says "Do you remember when..."

Have a good week!

4 comments:

Kingsmom said...

I love this post. It really got me thinking back to the records and 45 that we used to have. I remember jamming to "Ring my Bell" on our friends 8 track.

When I was old enough to get my own music I had Michael Jackson's Thriller as one of my first cassette tapes. And Madonna of course.

Man memories are good...

Sprite's Keeper said...

So sorry! I saw this today, but something was keeping me from commenting on blogspot! I kept getting denied/. So, I'm here again! Yes, that song immediately came to mind! My mom played Babs all the time too and I can recite every song off the Guilty album. You're linked!

Maureen at IslandRoar said...

Records...ah those were the days. My sister and I heard everything from Broadway musicals to Hank Williams..
Beats the fine selection of an iPod any day.

lisleman said...

liked your post - I remember those big furniture TV's. Now the slim ones hang on the wall - what a difference.

So years from now ?? will someone remember their mother's Ipod playlist??

Stacked 10 LP's - I remember not stacking them because that would scratch them.

Vinyl records are still here but certainly a niche cult-like product.

I've posted some on that subject.