Monday, June 29, 2009

Random Thoughts- RIP







It's Tuesday Random Thought again. Enjoy my mind goo and then go see Keely at the Un Mom for more fun. http://www.theunmom.com/


Today's thoughts (and most of last week, actually) have been on the recent run of celebrity deaths. Because, for some odd reason, they are people I will really miss. In conversation last week, I realized that some of these people are multi generational. Each generation remembers them for something different, but we'll all remember them. Take for instance:


1) Bea Arthur- Now my parents generation remembers Miss Bea as being "Maude" in the television by that name from the 60's? 70's? Before my time, at any rate. I, however, remember her as a Golden Girl, and in Mel Brooke's "History of the World" (did you bullsh!t last week?). We all agree that she was hysterical, though. Generation Y might not even know who she was...


2) Michael Jackson- To my rents, he's the cute little one in the Jackson 5. To me, he's all Thriller. To Generation Y, he's a creepy child molester (sorry, Michael, I don't mean to blemish your memory). A Michael for all seasons, if you will.


3) Billie Mays- The older generation can remember him selling them Orange Glo. Now, we all know he sold Oxiclean. Gen Y was all ready for him to be on Pitchmen. A product for everyone...


There were two others who were just icons. For their work or not, everybody knew their names. I speak of :


1) Miss Farah Fawcett- Tragic. Just tragic. I wanted to be an Angel, I'll admit. And everyone will remember her wonderful hair. Though, in talking to a male of my generation, he has no such great memories of Farah. He wasn't a girl, so he didn't want to be an Angel. And he was too young to be interested in the pin up aspect of her. But still, very sad.


2) Dom Delouise- Hysterical. Cannon Ball Run, History of the World (if you haven't seen it, rent it. Trust me. Without your kids around). And I'm old enough to remember him pitching zip lock backs (so your tomatoes didn't smell like your onions). Some folks remember him for promoting his cooking (I believe he had a cookbook or two). I think you had to enjoy that Mel Brooks' genre of comedy to enjoy Mr. Delouise. But he was great.


At any rate, all these deaths leave me a little depressed. And it was a really long week. So, that's all your getting this Tuesday. Stop back later in the week, when I'll be doing my spin on kids. Have a random Tuesday, folks.

8 comments:

Design it Chic said...

don't get depressed over this.. think of happy thoughts.. the calm ocean for instance.. see??? happy thoughts.. all better now??:)

Happy Randomness!

(came here via The UnMom)

gigidiaz said...

I can understand your feelings. Music and celebrities often become a big part of people's lives in our society. But you can't let it depress you. This may sounds heartless but everyone has to pass, eve stars.

Happy RTT!
I played too!

Ashlee said...

It is sad. I still watch Golden Girls! I have OxiClean in my laundry room right now. I tried hard to learn now to dance the "thriller" dance. I didn't want to be an angel but I sure liked her hair. They all have some kind of an impact on us. It is sad...

Sprite's Keeper said...

I hear you. And completely agree.

Baby News said...

I had no idea Dom died, too. I can't keep up. I noticed no mention of Ed McMahon. Johnny Carson sidekick, Publisher's Clearing house frontman, and Life Insurance salesman.

Crazy...all those deaths!

Mama Badger said...

Ach, Baby News, I'm so sorry! I did mean to mention Ed. To my parents, he was "Johnny" to me "Publisher's". My brain is on auto pilot today (as mentioned, last week was a tad rough at our house...)

BTW, I'm not seriously depressed. Just a little bummed. And, quite frankly, probably wouldn't be so if I could have paid a better tribute to Michael. But I just haven't had time...

andy said...

awww, i forgot about bea and dom.

it is sad to lose the celebrities we were so familiar with growing up:(

take care, hope your week improves.

andy:)

Kristen said...

I didn't know Billy died! Crazy.