Tuesday, June 9, 2009

It's that time of week again. The time when I get all random on your "not ready for bathing suit season" rear ends... Go see Kiley at the Un-Mom if you want more of, well, random...http://www.theunmom.com/2009/06/hungry-rain-and-yes-more-zombies-random.html

The first part is not random at all. It's the Lava Muffin Recipe, for those of you who drooled with me last week.


Chocolate Lava Muffins:

Ingredients
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 stick butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
Butter, to coat muffin tin
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place a small metal bowl over a saucepan with simmering water. Melt the chocolate and butter in the bowl. Stir in vanilla.
In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt. Sift these into the chocolate and mix well with electric hand mixer. Add eggs one at time, fully incorporating each egg before adding the next. Beat at high until batter is creamy and lightens in color, approximately 4 minutes. Chill mixture.
Coat the top and each cup of the muffin tin with butter. Dust with the cocoa powder and shake out excess. Spoon mixture into pan using a 4-ounce scoop or ladle. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes. Outsides should be cake-like and centers should be gooey.

Raspberry sauce

1 lb frozen raspberries
3 tbsp water
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp raspberry liquor

Defrost frozen raspberries. In a pot, heat the raspberries with the water, dissolve in the sugar and add the liquor. If you don't mind seeds, your done. If you do, strain the seeds out. Done. Couldn't be easier. This makes quite a bit, though, so I suggest stocking up on the vanilla ice cream to go with your muffins and sauce. When the muffins run out, you'll still have sauce for the ice cream...


These recipes are both stolen, but for the life of me, I can't remember from where. I don't take credit, though. They are, however, gluten free. And, I believe, relatively low in dairy. Revel in that. Go ahead. Make some. Take them to share at the office, or invite a friend over or something, to assuage the guilt. Tell the diet police I said it was Ok, just this once.
Now for some random:
LG has taken to biting, apparently. I got two notes home last week. What the frick? Kid finally gets some teeth, and you'd think he'd use them to eat? Nope. Bite. Other kids. Not a good deal. Apparently, they are dealing with it, though. He doesn't bite at home, so I don't get to see it. Hopefully it's a quick phase... As "climbing out of his crib" while at school will be. (At home his crib is higher than the walls at San Quentin, so it's not an option). School is going to deal with it all, they tell me. Yeah, apparently I now have "that kid". McGuiver and Houdini all in one. Lucky me. I'll weather about a week of this krappe before I whip out the "it's not a phase and we're going to do something about it" attitude. If you have suggestions, let 'em rip.
Time to take the Segway (insert screeching tire noise here):
People are getting all huffed up about healthy eating and temptation these days. They're taking the "don't put it in my line of sight" route. It's a little disconcerting. I'm all about trying to be healthy, but are all these "bans" necessary? I mean, it's not like second hand smoke. You won't get fat if I drink my McDonald's shake in front of you. I understand, it sucks to be overweight or diabetic or whatnot and be constantly tempted. But let's not confuse "It sucks and it's inconvenient for me" with "It's intruding on my general health whether I like it or not" here. I'm just saying. Control is not just for Vietnamese dictators...
I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...
We had some good news over here, too. Turns out, I'm not diabetic this pregnancy. (now visualize me doing a little dance). I've been avoiding soda and sweets for nothing. Ok, maybe not for nothing. The midwife thinks my "improved" diet has let to my lower blood sugar. So, while I'm not back on Coke for breakfast, at least I'm not jabbing my fingers 4 times a day, and logging every morsel that makes it to my mouth. I'll take it. However, I will have nothing to hang over second kids head in the future. LG will be forced to pay for my Taj Mahal retirement all on his own. Poor kid.
And now a final plea. Last night PB was reading LG poems from Shel Silverstein. Good stuff. Which reminded him that he has an unsolved mystery. When he was a kid his Dad read the kids a book that had something to do with "pork chops and bullet peas that bounce". I can find nothing in my search of the web and library that has anything to do with this. "Pork chops in paper panties" I find, but not "bullet peas that bounce". Hmmm. Anyone, anyone? Remember this story? Suggestions for how to find it?
Ok, have a good week peoples. Go eat some Oreos. Vive la resistance!

7 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

You posted the recipe. Dude, not only do you have me craving lava muffins, you gave me the instructions? That's just cruel. :-)
I have no suggestions for the biting. Some one told me to bite the kid back if they do it to you and that should teach them, but Sprite never fell into that phase.

GreenJello said...

How can it be gluten free if one of the ingredients is flour? I'm scratching my head over here...

Get him some chew toys. No, I'm not joking. He feels the need to bite because he's teething. So find some solid rubber-type baby teethers, or do what I did-- get some dog chewies. Teach them that the chew toys are the only things they're allowed to bite. It really does help.

Mama Badger said...

Hmmm, maybe I left out the flour when I made it gluten free? My gluten allergic friend ate it and didn't die. I thought it must be ok...

The biting started from other kids biting him. I'm not sure biting back will help. And the kid has more chew items that I can count (he chews for a second, then moves on). Thanks for the suggestions.

crunchiemummy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Oh my goodness, that recipe sounds delish!!!

While I don't have a biting toddler, I do know what it's like to have "that" child as he has like to have public temper tantrums. Not fun, but we're getting through it and they are getting less frequent!

And, we love Shel Silverstein in this house. His poems are awesome.

Michele said...

I check Worldcat.org which has millions of books cataloged and it came up with nothing. Sorry I tried a couple of different search terms also. Whoops sometimes I get all reference librarian.

Thanks for stopping by today. Good luck with the biter.

Casey said...

You've got me on the bullet peas. My thirteen month has taken to biting, mostly my two and a half year old and that doesn't go over so well. My son has a crib tent since he started scaling his crib walls at an early age. Best $60 I ever spent. Good luck!

Keely said...

Pork chops in paper panties? wtf?

My kid bites me occasionally when he's over-excited. It's not vicious - yet.