Monday, June 29, 2009

Buns and Hobo Pies!

I won some buns! Wow! I have to say, I'm pretty excited about this. As is my family, who will benefit from the buns on the 4th of July.

I'm even more excited that they are Sarah Lee buns. If you came here from Kristina's blog, you'll already know that Sarah Lee gives a scholarship to my Alma Mater, Skidmore College. And I was the lucky recipient of that scholarship. As a result, I am a devoted fan. I always keep a pound cake in my freezer along with some frozen berries, just in case someone drops in and I need a quick snack. Her cheesecake is wonderful, too (I highly recommend it if you are going to blow your diet and need something to hide in your closet with).

Some suggested I get a little more elaborate about the recipe I suggested in my comment (which won me the buns- the comment won, not the recipe. You get the picture).

You will need:

-A camping Pie Iron*
-left over buns (hot dog or hamburger, we're not picky)
-a few cans of pie filling (any flavor that makes you happiest)
-some sort of lubricant (Pam or something works well)

This can either be done over an open fire, or on the grill, depending on how you plan to spend your holiday. All you have to do is lube up the pie iron **, place the bottom of the bun in the iron. Spoon in some filling (If you are doing hot dog buns, you'll fit two on at once. Open one bun for the bottom, and another for the top- just rotate the top one so you get a top and a bottom for each pie!) Place the top of the bun on the filling, and close the iron. Slap that bad boy into the fire, or onto the grill. Wait around 5 minutes. Check and see if it's done to your liking. Voila. Dessert.

I'm pretty sure that up until the fire part, it's pretty kid friendly. As always, an adult should supervise kids around any sort of fire (unless your kids are flameproof, in which case, who am I to tell you what to do?)

If you do use hot dog buns you will get two per iron, which is nice for two reasons. First, you can have the kids share, and get two served at once. Second, if you consider a whole pie a serving, you can have two different flavors, and make it seem like two desserts!

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July. With all that's going on, it is a good day to reflect upon the fact that no matter how bad things get, we all still live free in one of the best nations on earth. My sincerest sympathies to all who need a little more this year, may you year only get better.

* This is what they look like: http://www.target.com/Pie-Iron-Cookout-Set/dp/B000E0RU36/qid=1246281378/ref=br_1_13/176-9985623-8111039?ie=UTF8&node=160210011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

I am, in no way shape or form, endorsing Target for purchasing camping items. Just providing some visual cues as to what a camping pie iron looks like, for people who might not know. I'm pretty sure you can get them much cheaper elsewhere.

** DO NOT SPRAY PAM BY THE FIRE!!! It's just a poor idea, trust me. And if you have teenagers, supervise them with the Pam, lest they discover what happens when you spray Pam into the fire...

2 comments:

SparkleFarkle said...

***smoldering and hacking up a smoke-furball*** I guess I read that last smitch of advice a little bit too late. Pie's good, though!

Ashlee said...

Yay for buns!! I love SaraLee!! Happy 4th of July..early!!