Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Random Thoughts Tuesday...



This is going to be way more thought than the subject requires, but I'll file it under the random part of Tuesday.


As I was dressing this morning, I noticed that the care instructions on my underpants included "Do not iron". Uhm, really? Do people iron their underwear? I could possibly see my husband needing to iron his cotton boxers sometimes, when I'm really lax about getting stuff out of the dryer in a timely fashion. They do get a bit over wrinkly. But he doesn't seem to care, so neither do I. I'm pretty sure he's never even thought of ironing them. But my underwear? The thought never even crossed my mind to iron them. Who would notice if I didn't? And they don't get wrinkly (isn't that what the spandex is in there for?) I just thought it was odd.

LG got to go to his first baseball game last night. I think he had a pretty good time. We were in one of the boxes at a A league game, but he wandered out to watch the field a few times (it was a bit chilly out). Here's a shot of him with a game ball that a friend of ours caught (his first baseball! Thanks B!) Side note: B also happens to own our puppy friend, Jasper, and be married to Miss L, whom we really like. Bonus... Back on track, the only thing he didn't like was the mascot, a green version of the Indians mascot, Slider. We knew he didn't like Sully, the seagull who is the Lake Erie Monster's mascot (god knows why). He had seen the really Slider a few weeks ago and was ok with him, though. Who knows what happened in his tiny mind?

For that matter, have you ever looked at your kid and wondered what the heck was going through their head? Not in that, Awwww, look at them discover way. In that, Really, are you kidding me? way... Yeah, for me, all the time. Not that I don't have "Awww" moments. I do. But sometimes, I just don't get it.

And once again, someone is after my Oreos... The Center for Science in the Public Interest is recommending a tax on sugary drinks (read-soda) as part of the new health plan. They claim it will reduce the average intake, and make us healthier, as well as provide $$ to fund the new plan. Funnily enough, they don't propose to include Diet sodas, just regular. Because it's healthy to slurp that Diet Coke? Grrr. Why is it that we all get punished because some people can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar? And if those hands have private insurance, why does the Center for Science in the Public Interest give a darn??? Why does it seem ok to tell everyone how to live their lives? I have a whole rant about how gov't can regulate people on public health care (or without insurance) since they end up paying for their eating sins. But the gov't won't have to pay a red hot dime for whatever my Yoohoo and Twinkie habit will cause me. So, stay out of my pantry!


Last random thought of the day. I'm tired of celebrity spokespeople. I don't care what Jenny McCarthy thinks about Autism, or Bristol Palin has to say about abstinence. When did a professional pretty girl replace a professional in that field? The people who have gone to school, and done the research are being drowned out by people who make money off of the screen time. It kills me. And I'm tired of the excuse, well at least the cause is getting air time. Nope. Better no air time than airtime for someone who is not qualified to give professional advice. It has become all too prevalent that people are spewing opinion as fact, and the general population is not being discerning enough to do the background research. I'm disappointed in Oprah. I think her viewers expected her to do the research for them, and she has let them down...

Ok, enough for this random Tuesday.

5 comments:

theneatos said...

ironing panties .. I snorted out loud.

And - I wholeheartedly agree on celebrity spokespeople. I am ok with McDreamy's voice on the State Farm commercial - but - seeing Plastic Pam speaking out for Peta? No thank you.

Cindi ~ Moomettesgram said...

I remember learning to iron handkerchiefs when I was little. I also remember sheets, pillowcases & more being ironed!

Happy RTT & mine's posted too!
Mama Mentor

Sprite's Keeper said...

I totally hear you on celebrity spokespeople. A famous face does not equal education.

Keely said...

If the celebrity is a REAL celebrity who has an actual talent, and is well-versed in the subject matter of their pet cause, by all means, plug away. But don't turn your 15 minutes of fame into a career and then assume we're going to listen to you and your uneducated ramblings.

Lisa (Jonny's Mommy) said...

Ironing panties sounds fun. And challenging. From one boondocker to another...just be glad your mom didn't iron everything in sight like mine did...she even ironed towels....Oh dear. It kept life interesting at least! Like your site!