Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Time

Ok, I'm a week late for Sprite's Keeper's Spin Cycle on time (it was last week), but since this week is a free for all, and time is on my mind, I'm going to go for it.

For the past few days, I've been taking the same route to work. I drop off LG, and head down a residential road that happens to bear a lot of morning commuter traffic. And I should mention it has a speed limit of 35 due to lots of kids at bus stops (I mentioned it was residential, right?). As such, I go 35 mph, 40 tops. Not because of the cops, because of the kids. And I like having them there. I like to see all the kids out at the bus stop, dressed in the latest fashions, sporting their backpacks and instruments that are half their size. Don't ask why. It just gives me a sense that all is right in the world.

Never fail, every morning, I have someone behind me do something rude. Last week, a guy tail gated me mercilessly for about 6 blocks before getting frustrated and passing me. I swear, if he got any closer, he could have told you what brand shampoo I used. It made me nervous, but irritated me at the same time. Does he realize that even if he goes 50 down the length of this street, it will save him less than a minute?

This week has been the horn honking week. For any minute second you are not progressing forward, someone will beep. This morning, the woman in front of me didn't dash out at the red light. So I waited patiently for her to finish her thought (for god sake, it's 7:am, there's a lot to think about at that time!). And the person behind me laid on the horn. I swear, we didn't wait for more than 10 seconds. The poor lady jumped and proceeded forward. I hope she finally remembered what she needed from the store, or decided on a new nail polish color, or whatever she was pondering.

Really people? Are you in such a rush, that if this woman takes an extra minute, it will make you irreparably late? Is your time that valuable? And if it is, maybe you should get up 5 or 10 minutes earlier so that this isn't an issue for you any longer. You can get to work without causing anyone else the angst that you feel the need to harbor yourself.

Things are moving at blur speed, lately. I've been trying to slow down and make some time for little things. Getting to work without stress, having time to feed LG and not getting frustrated if he takes longer than I plan, a few extra minutes at the grocery store to do a little comparison shopping. And its working. We don't get to snooze in the morning, and sometimes we don't get as much play time, but in the end, we're happier (ok, PB would like his snooze back I'm pretty sure).

5 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Nicely put! Our major artery street in the neighborhood is posted at 40 mph, however, there are a few bus stops that cause traffic to slow and stop in the mornings and it never fails to see someone tearing by at 55 or 60, bypassing the safer speed of the cars around him while completely ignoring the stopping bus and flashing lights. He finally got caught 2 weeks ago and we safer drivers made a point to congratulate the officer on stopping this moron. This morning, he was at it again. Some people need to reroute their drive or set the alarm a few minutes earlier.
You're linked and welcome to the Spin Cycle!

Camille said...

I HATE TAILGATERS. It's absurd. I'm glad you're taking time to slow down---we all should. Thanks for the spin!

Beccabec said...

My thoughts exactly! I have taken to only going 3-5 over the speedlimit if that and I feel more relaxed since I am not looking for cops all the time. I think it is even therepudic. Especially when you see a person tailgating you, drive around mad just to get to red light quicker...that you meet them at. And for what? I even started to slow down for tailgaters. Especially if they are on my tail because the person next to me isn't going to speed either. It is Karma!!!

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

Fun spin. If those people ever come to Hawaii, they better not honk their horn. People just don't do it. You could get punched for it.

Mama Badger said...

Yet another reason I need to move to Hawaii... Please give me more!