Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spinning head...




This is for random Tuesday, and anyone who might want to offer me sympathy or advice...

My darn head is spinning today. Yeah, like the Exorcist, split pea, spin.

Why, you ask? Health care. No, I don't want to talk about socialized medicine, or the new administrations plan. Think smaller. MY health care. Since I'm leaving my current job (that has super health benefits, even after a cut last year) and moving on, the fam has some decisions to make. Do I go on my COBRA and keep my plan? Do we try out the new company's plan? Do we go on PBs plan at work? You try understanding and comparing these health plans, figuring out deductibles, maximum out of pockets, and co-pays. It's killing me. As soon as we think we have something to go with, we ask another question. And find out that our answer isn't possible. Or logical anymore. It's frustrating. Especially since we know that having this kid in Sept might blow the bank if we choose poorly. In any other year I'd say, "Meh, roll the dice." But it cost almost $40,000 by the time we took LG home. That's nothing to Meh about.

And you know what? My kid has absolutely no advice on this one. He sits on my lap and looks at all the paperwork, and still, nothing from him. That's a one year old for you. Maybe I'll spread them all out and the one he tries to eat first will be the one we pick.

Oh, and Sprite's Keeper mentioned some of her food idiosyncrasies. So, I'm going to take this moment to defend mine. I don't think I have many. They're just particular.

Please don't put anything on a sandwich that you don't mention. If it's going to come with lettuce, tomato and mayo, say so. Don't make me guess. And don't surprise me. I don't like it. Ditto with any kind of sauce, actually. I don't want some fancy, schmancy sauce that you neglected to mention. I want to be forewarned, and be allowed to decide. Sauce is important, tell me about it.

I don't like more than one condiment per food item. Hot dogs get mustard. Hamburgers get ketsup (or ketchup, if you prefer). Cheese isn't a condiment, it's a topping. Same with onions and pickles (but only with warning on those). Please don't try to sell me a "California" burger with mayo and mustard and ketchup. I will try to scrape them off, and complain the whole damn time.

I like the condiments on toast to go all the way to the edge. Butter, jelly, whatever. Cover the darn toast. Don't do a little in the middle and assume that I'll just survive the crust. The crust needs it most!!!

I don't like beer. Lay off. I know, you all love it. It makes your world go round. Good for you! I'll buy it for you, brew it for you, whatever. Just don't ask me to drink it. I won't. I'm not abnormal, just a picky eater. Now get off of me.

I have huge problems paying for an Italian meal that I will inevitably compare to my mom's and be disappointed. So we don't usually eat Italian out. Sorry, PB.

I think that's all. Right around now, PB would mention that I could probably live off of Twinkies and Yoohoo. And he's probably right. But I'm an adult and I don't.

And I think this is random enough for your Tuesday. So go do something productive. Save a whale, or eat one, whichever is the fad now.

7 comments:

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

I detest beer as well and I only like mustard - no fancy mustard - just plain mustard on a hot dog or a burger - nothing else! Same for sandwiches too - no nothing - just plain yellow mustard!

Midlife Mama said...

As far as jam on toast, I don't eat the crust. I cut my toast in half and eat the inside and leave the crust. And at the restaurant they have those little holders with the little square containers of jam? While I'm waiting for my breakfast, I always organize those things. I sort them so they're all facing the same direction, and all the flavors are together. Yes, I'm weird like that. I'll be waiting at home for the men in the white coats. LOL

GreenJello said...

Read my random thoughts from last Tuesday, and you'll see what I think about beer. LOL!

blueviolet@A Nut in a Nutshell said...

I am with you on sandwiches. I want full disclosure up front.

Keely said...

I used to think I was a picky eater.

USED TO.

;)

Mama Badger said...

Sniff, I love you guys, really I do. All the support for my neurotic behavior is overwhelming...

Sprite's Keeper said...

Ha! I'm still trying to catch all the RTT's from last week and it's almost time for the next one!
I'm the same with food. If it's not listed on the menu, it better not be on the plate. There's a mexican restaurant that does this with avocado, something I don't like. They just place an avocado slice on top of the food and then I have to take it off, and it always leaves green schmear in it's absence. HATE IT!