Monday, April 6, 2009

Am I just a meanie???

So, all the kids at LGs school sort of "share" the food they bring in. If the teacher heats up a waffle, she knows LG won't eat the whole thing, so she splits it and gives some to another kid so it doesn't go to waste. I'm all good with this. Except when he ends up eating more krappe than other stuff.

I try to send mostly healthy stuff. Fruits, veg, chicken nuggets, cheese sticks, cereal bars. Nothing outragious. However, some of the other kids come in with donuts, muffin tops, Oreo Cakesters??? These kids are all around 1 year old.

I've explained to the teachers that LG at least has to have his fruit or veg first, then he can try other stuff. But in the afternoon, his snack sometimes gets a little out of hand. Cakesters and 100 calorie Chips Ahoy? When I know he has fruit cups and cheese sticks? Argh. I've stuck to my guns, only water and milk in the sippy cup.

I hate to whine to the teachers, or tell them what I want them to do, too specifically. For instance, I don't want to go to school and say "No more krappe for snacks". They are with him all day, and would never do anything to "hurt" him. But this isn't really how I want him to eat. I know he could use the calories, but he doesn't really need all that sugar.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes the other stuff he gets is really good stuff. He gets to share their broccoli and cheese, or wagon wheels. And he gets to try any leftover school lunches (he's tried salsbury steak, hamburgers, beef and mac).

What do other people do? Am I just mean? Or are they a little out there with their choices???

No comments: