Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Resolutions

Happy New Year, internets! I'm not one for making resolutions that I will be obliged to feel guilty that I could not keep going for a full year. Who needs extra guilt in their life?


However, this year I'm going to try to make a "commitment". Since LG arrived, dinners at our house have been touch and go, at best. Sometimes we can remember to defrost something, and have a real meal. Other times we realize that our chaos has gotten us to 9:00 and we're looking at pizza rolls and chicken nuggets for dinner. Which is ok once in a while, but not as often as we do it. Our other "issue" is that we always fall back to the same recipes in our arsenal. They're the ones we're most comfortable with, and that's good most of the time. They usually require a bit of prep work and time, though (which was ok before LG, but not so much now).


So, I'm going to com mitt to trying one new recipe a week. Doesn't matter where it comes from. Just one that we've never made (notice I didn't say we've never had). I'm looking for easy, with few ingredients, and if we can swing it, cheap. I'll throw up the recipes here, so that you guys can try them, too, if you want. And if you have a recipe that you think would fit the bill, feel free to post it as a comment, or e-mail it to me.


I'd like to report that in week 2 of 2009, we're on track. So far, we've tried two new recipes!


For New Year's Eve (which, technically wasn't 2009, but it was the first week of the year) we tried a bacon wrapped chicken recipe. It was super easy!


Bacon wrapped chicken:


1lb bacon with the strips cut in half

1lb chicken (cubed)

2/3 cup light brown sugar

2 Tbls chili powder


-Mix the chili powder and brown sugar together and toss the chicken cubes in to coat.

-Wrap each cube in a halved bacon strip and secure with a tooth pick or skewer (we got around 5 to a skewer and found that to be the easiest way to cook them, but not the best way to serve them)

- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350


We also made up some water chestnuts with the same coating and bacon, too (ok, I'll ad mitt that I was thinking this would be vegetarian. yes, bacon is now a vegetable in my world), but only baked them for around 15 minutes.


We took them to a party and they were a big hit. Like I said, the individual tooth picks might be better for a party atmosphere (I think people were reluctant to take just one off of the skewer).


Recipe # 2 (we made this one last night)


Turkey Cheeseburgers


1 1/2 lbs ground turkey

1 medium sized zucchini, grated (you can buy the already grated kind at our supermarket, too)

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp dried basil

1/4 tsp black pepper

4 rolls

appropriate toppings


1- Heat your broiler and arrange the top rack so it's about 2 inches from the heat (for people new to cooking, move the rack before you turn on the broiler, lest you hurt yourself).


2- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, zucchini, cheese, salt, onion powder, basil and pepper. Mix well and form into 4 equal patties.


3- Place the burgers onto your broiler pan and broil for 6-8 minutes on each side (12-15 minutes in total).


The stats per serving (which I will include if I know them):


417 calories

19 g fat

26 g carbs

40 g protein

6 g fiber

803 mg sodium

112 mg cholesterol


I'm betting you could lower some of those numbers with skim milk cheese and a healthy type roll, too.


Holy cow, these were good. I was hopeful, but not optimistic. I've been looking for a good turkey burger recipe for a while. Now we have one. I think the keys are that the zucchini keeps them moist (but you can't tell its there at all- good for hiding a veg from the kids) and the cheese is actually in the burger. We'll make these often.


I served it with a little home made cole slaw (the betty crocker recipe). Yes, my fellow internets, the badgers ate well last night.


The good news for you is that you are guaranteed a post a week this way. I will try to be prompt with my sharing.


To assuage those of you who only read the blog for news of LG I throw you this tid bit: He's officially walking now. On Monday he strolled into school all by himself. And yesterday he did a tour of the school walking all by himself. There is no stopping him now. And the cats are fearful.


Here's a picture of him with his Giraffe mobile. He's a little too short to ride it properly, but with PBs help, he likes to ride!

1 comment:

CSkaryd said...

mmmmBacon. I can confirm that the bacon wrapped chicken was indeed spectacular and not at all vegetarian. :)

Bacon