Tuesday, October 21, 2008

He flies through the air...

With the greatest of ease, the daring young man on the flying trapeze. His movements are graceful, the crowd is so pleased. Oh, we'd love to be like him some day.



And that, my friends, is how I learned the song. Because my mom, as was her style, changed the words to suit her.



The actual last line is "My love he has stolen away".

And for a brief moment in time, this whole kind of thing upset me. My mom used to dance around the room with us, singing her own words and humming the tune when she couldn't even fake words. There are so many songs that I have a complete misconception of what they were actually about.

Then the other day I found myself making up the words to a song for LG. Because I couldn't quite remember the next line, and it was rapidly approaching. And rather than stop short, when he was obviously enjoying dancing with me, I just made something up. And sometimes I make things up so I can include his name in the song.

I now understand my mom a little better. Rather than give up the opportunity to dance around her kitchen with her family, she played it by ear. Thanks, Mom.

No comments: